Skip to main content

52 Ancestors-Week 40: Oldest: Matilda Wollenweber’s German Ancestors

This is my third year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow. I will write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

I have many ancestors listed in my tree that go back pretty far that I could select one to be the oldest person in my tree. However, many of those “old” people were obtained not from my own research, but from trees in books or on websites. They have not been verified with my own research.


Now to select someone that I have personally researched, I could select Matilda “Tillie” Wollenweber’s ancestors, whom I found in Pfalz and WĂĽrttemburg. Matilda was born in Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky on 27 Aug 1859 to Ludwig Wilhelm “Louis” Wollenweber and Philappina Margaretha Voehringer.[1] Both of her parents were not native born, but married in the U.S. Louis and Philappina married on 5 September 1858 in Louisville.[2]

Louis’ origins was in Kusel, Pfalz, which at the time was part of Bavaria. He was born on 5 March 1822 to Carl Wollenweber and Dorothea Carolina Emerick.[3] Carl’s parents were Johan Frederic Wollenweber and Anna Marguerethe Dubhorn.[4] Dorothea’s parents were Philippe Ludwig Emerick and Marie Elisabethe Welsch.

Philippina’s origins was in Unterhausen, Schwarzwald, WĂĽrttemberg. She was born 28 May 1834 to Johann Adam Voehringer and Maria Agnes Reiff. Johan’s parents were Johan Friedrich Voehringer and Philippina Margeretha Hermann. Maria’s parents were Johanes Reiff and Margarethe Barbara Hermann.

I was able to get back to the late 1700s. Looking at my notes and sources, I need to go back to these records and make copies and transcriptions. I need to put these families on my to-do list for the next visit to the FamilySearch Library. Just waiting for them to re-open.



[1] St. Paul's Evangelical Church (UCC) (Louisville, KY), Baptisms, vol 4 1857-1862p 309, no. 974, Matilda Wollenweber; FHL microfilm 1531412 item 1.

[2] Kentucky, Louisville, Marriage Registers, vol 6-7 1853-1860, vol 7, p 98, Wollenwebber-Voehringer, 1858; Family History Library microfilm, 882708.

[3] Evangelische Kirche (Kusel, Bayern), Taufen 1816-1826, 1822, Ludwig Wilhelm Wollenweber; FHL microfilm 193951, item 2.

[4] Evangelische Kirche, (Kusel, Bayern), Heiratsregister 1799-1817, v. 1, Emrich-Wollenweber, 1807; FHL microfilm  415933, item 1.


Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments