Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Oct 5–11, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed thirty (30) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I taught my genealogy classes at the adult school but saw no one. I worked at the History Center. I did phenology at the meadow as usual. We visited Elizabeth in Santa Rosa and bought apples in Sebastopol at apple stands, visited Duncans Mills, and ate dinner outside at Grossman’s (a Jewish deli).

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Blogs posted this past week:

Online Study Groups Attended:   

  • Three of the Amigos met.
  • Certification Discussion Group discussed writing and presentations.
  • Four of us met in the Friday Cert Discussion group and we discussed general topics as some were not prepared to discuss the article.

Webinars Attended:

  • Understanding & Correlating World War One Records, KB Barcomb
  • Breathing Life into Your Genealogy With the Power of Story, Bill Cole
  • Build a Better Syllabus, Cari Taplin

Client Work/Presentations:
I am working on the lesson for my adult school course Genealogy Workshop. I’m having fun teaching my two classes, though the sound was wonky at the school’s computer this past week and I couldn’t get the second monitor to work. Maybe I’ll try just using my own computer and their wifi.

Volunteer Work:
I visited the History Center on Tuesday and I met the new director. I continued working on cleaning up the processing area so we can start working on a few to clear them out.

Own Work:
No new genealogy research done this week except to write the 52 Ancestors post.

Other:
I attended all three of my own adult school classes: photography, intermediate German conversation and advanced German conversation.    

I finished reading How the Post Office Created America and attended the book club to discuss the book. The next book to finish is The Color of Law as I’m in a discussion group about that book starting next week.

Books to finish:

  • White Heat: The New Warfare, 1914-1918
  • Send Us a Lady Physician: Women Doctors in America 1835-1920
  • Twilight Whispers

This week I watched three VHS movies from my shelf for good-time’s sake. It was fun to revisit these films:

  • Dave
  • Star Trek IV
  • The Hunt for Red October

We took at trip up to Sonoma County on Saturday and spent the day with our daughter, Elizabeth. We bought apples from apple stands and walked around Duncans Mills. It was cool and drizzly. Dinner in Santa Rosa was out in the patio of Grossman’s, a Jewish deli.

Photos of the week that I’ll submit to the photo class: 





Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I absolutely love your photos. They look very professionally done and definitely capture the feeling of fall (even though it will be 100 again this week in Tucson!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's going to warm up here this week, too. But the plants are certainly showing fall colors.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.