Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Create a Fact List in Your Genealogy Software

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing's assignment for us tonight:
Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):

1.  Does your genealogy management software (e.g, Family Tree Maker, RootsMagic, Legacy Family Tree, Reunion, Heredis, Family Historian, etc.) create a "Fact List" report (or something similar) - a list of the profiles in your family tree that have (or don't have) a specific Fact (e.g., birth, death, burial, immigration, etc.)?

2.  If so, run a Fact List to determine which people have a specific Fact (or don't have a specific Fact) and share it with us. 

3.  Share your results with us in your own blog post, in a comment on this post, or in a Facebook post.  Leave a comment on this post with a link to your results.

Here’s mine:

I, too, use RootsMagic and found all the people who have the fact type “vacation.” There were only ten vacations recorded in the program. I’m sure there should be more, but I did not create the fact for those other people.


I also created a list of those who “traveled.” This list is longer with fifteen people having seventeen trips (two people each had two trips).

My last list is those who attended school. This was a two-page report with forty-seven people. The Copiah County, Mississippi records were from a school census, while most of the others were school graduations. Some entries of specific grade schools in specific years came from having copies of report cards or from finding newspaper articles about their attendance or school activity. Still, I am very poor at entering these extra kinds of facts to my database program. 


At least I entered two of the schools I attended.

Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I have Education and Travel as facts in my database, but not vacation. Maybe I should add that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some crazy facts that belong to only one person. Someday, I need to clean up the database.

      Delete
  2. Vacation is an interesting fact addition, especially in more modern times when families might have saved souvenirs or taken photos that have been handed down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same. I found newspaper articles, too, of vacation trips to national parks, etc.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.