Skip to main content

52 Ancestors-Week 43: Quite the Character – My Aunt Beryl

This is my third year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow. I will write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

My mother’s paternal aunt, Beryl Mavella Johnston, was quite the character. I have previously written about her as part of a Blogging from A to Z Challenge in 2016, as well as about her work for the federal government:

She was my grandfather, Tom J. Johnston’s older sister, and she was always a part of our holiday celebrations. She usually brought dessert to the meals, mainly pumpkin or pecan pie.

She was loud and always spoke her opinion. She was always well-dressed, even if it consisted only of white, black, or silver-colored clothing. As a child, I didn’t understand why she didn’t like wearing colorful clothing like my grandmother. Now I know these colors make you look slimmer and that had been her goal.

She was married twice and had no children. She also had a long-time relationship with another man between the two marriages. After her death, my grandmother received her photo collection and now I have them. We discovered slides of Beryl posing in different outfits. Her clothing choices when younger were much more colorful!

These numerous slides were obviously taken by someone who loved viewing her in her various outfits. I think she must have had a lot of clothes! 



Wasn’t she such a character to pose like a model?

Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. My favorite is the blue dress, but the leopard pants are terrific. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That blue dress made it to our house and was used many times as a Halloween or dress-up costume. My sister commented on Facebook that she liked the leopard pants best.

      Delete
  2. She looks like such an interesting person! And a fun person, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wished now that I had asked questions about her life. I was in my 20s when she died.

      Delete
  3. Love her! Amazing photographs.Those leopard print pants are the best. Thanks for sharing Beryl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks like she could have hob-nobbed with Betty Davis, Doris Day, Jane Russell, and others. The leopard pants made quite the provocative statement in her day. I bet she was the life of many a party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that have been fun! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.