Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Sep 28-Oct 4, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed twenty-nine (29) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I did phenology at the meadow as usual. I took some things to the Hospice for donation. And I went to volunteer at the History Center on Tuesday and Saturday. And I took photos at the Sunday Farmer’s Market on Main Street in downtown Martinez for my photo class. Margaret left Friday night and we drove her to the airport. Elizabeth came for the afternoon and evening on Thursday.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:
Blogs posted this past week:

Study Groups Attended: 
I attended fewer study groups this week due to the company I have at home:

  • Three of the Amigos met. We talked about Stewart’s lease document from NY.
  • Five of us met in the Friday Cert Discussion group and we finished the research report we were discussing.

Webinars Attended:

  • California Land Grants by Susan Skilton for CGS.
  • Exploring Military Records by Susan Goss Johnston for CGS.

Client Work/Presentations
I continued working on the lessons plans for the two Adult School courses. I taught the first session for the two classes I’m teaching: Introduction to Genealogy and Genealogy Workshop I. There was a bit of technical issues for the first class and I hope that I can have it all working this week.

Volunteer Work:
I visited the History Center on both Tuesday and Saturday. I’m cleaning up some accessions, entering them into PastPerfect and putting them away. On Saturday, spoke with Maxine and we have a plan for several of the collections that need work. We moved some stuff around and made room.

Own Work:
No genealogy research done this week.

Other:
We continued cleaning up the girls room. Elizabeth vacuumed and we got rid of 75% of her Beanie Babies. Still have Margaret’s left to do. Perhaps we can rearrange the room soon.

I attended my classes via Zoom at the Acalanes Adult School except German on Thursday as I didn’t feel well.  

I am reading How the Post Office Created America. I started reading it using a Kindle app on my iPad, but hated that. I found the book at the library and ordered it. Once the book club discussion happens on Sunday, I can continue reading on the following books:

  • The Color of Law
  • White Heat: The New Warfare, 1914-1918
  • Send Us a Lady Physician: Women Doctors in America 1835-1920
  • Twilight Whispers

Photo of the week: Doobie & me.




Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments