Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Your Top 5 or 10 Fee-Based Genealogy Sites

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!



Here is our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing for this week: 

1)  Ken McKinlay posted My Top 10 Fee-based Genealogy Sites this past week, so I've made it the challenge this week (thanks to Linda Stufflebean for the suggestion!).

2)  List your Top 5 or 10 top fee-based genealogy sites, and a short reason for listing them.

3)  Share you list on your own blog, in a comment on this post, or on Facebook.  Please leave a link to your list wherever it is.

Here’s mine:

I subscribe to only a few subscription databases. 

1. Ancestry. I have the World account in order to view Swedish, Canadian, English, and German records. I probably use Ancestry every day. Sometimes, it is only to grab a better image or to verify a source citation element I didn’t collect the first time. When I have a client project, Ancestry becomes very important.

2. Newspapers.com. Because I have Ancestry, my separate Newspapers.com account seems to allow access to all of the content. At present, this database has been very useful and has had a lot of newspapers that I have needed.

3. Fold3. I also get a discount on Fold3 because of my Ancestry account. I have not used this database often, but am currently taking a military class which has introduced new ways to look at the databases on Fold3. I shall investigate it further. One must do more at the site than “searching.” Many of the databases must be viewed using the browsing system they have to dig down into the database.

4. Genealogy Bank. I used to think this was the best newspaper site until Newspapers.com came along. I liked the interface better (at least before they recently changed it). Their papers are different than Newspapers.com, so having two subscriptions are necessary for me. Always check their content before subscribing.

5. Family Tree Webinars. This is an excellent bargain, considering how many webinars they have in their library and a subscription allows access to all of them. It is easy to find a topic or speaker you’re interested in. Plus, with the subscription, the handout is also available to download.

These are the only ones I pay for. There are many other sites that I use that are free. Perhaps, we’ll have a topic on that soon.

Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. If you are looking for military records on Fold3, be sure to visit NARA's Record Group Explorer and search in the Veteran's Affairs category. Fold3 shares its images with NARA and you can view/save them for free from NARA. Not all records are yet posted, but I've found all my Rev War files and some Civil War ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.