Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Oct 12–18, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed thirty-one (31) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I worked a couple hours at the History Center. I did phenology at the meadow as usual. The biggest trip was Friday to the bank to deposit a check, to the library to return and pick up a book, to the recorder’s office to turn in my ballot, and to Kaiser to get the last shingles shot and the pneumonia shot. On Monday, I went to the bird store to pick up bird seed I had ordered.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:
Blogs posted this past week:

Online Study Groups Attended:   

  • Three of the Amigos met.
  • Jacqueline & I met twice this week, discussing institutes, citations, etc.
  • Four of us met in the Thursday Cert Discussion session.
  • Four of us met in the Friday Certification Peer group and we discussed the research report.
  • I joined the discussion group on the book The Color of Law where we started on the first three chapters.
  • I started attending another new discussion group Education Peer Group and we’ll be meeting once a month.

Webinars Attended:

  • “Exploring Military Records, Part III” with Susan Johnston
  • "Grandpa Was a Tail-gun Runner: Researching Army Air Corps" 

Client Work/Presentations:
No class at the adult school this past week due to the Columbus Day holiday, but I got the next two lessons finished and published in the Canvas website.

Volunteer Work:
I visited the History Center on Tuesday and took care of two queries. I also attended both the Sacramento German Genealogy Society and the Contra Costa County Historical Society board meetings where I took minutes.

Own Work:
I have not done any of my own work this week. 

Other:
I attended only two of my own Adult School classes: intermediate German conversation and advanced German conversation and missed photography because of the SGGS board meeting.    

I’m re-reading the first three chapters of The Color of Law for the discussion group.

Books to finish:

  • White Heat: The New Warfare, 1914-1918
  • Send Us a Lady Physician: Women Doctors in America 1835-1920
  • Twilight Whispers

This week I watched one VHS movie from my shelf this week:

  • A Little Romance

Photos of the week, flowers from my yard--the last of the blooming flowers: 






Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments