Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of July 12–18, 2021

I have completed seventy (70) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I went out to the History Center twice, got a haircut, and attended the Nilsen Family Reunion (bumping elbows instead of hugging).

Genealogy

Blog Writing: I wrote one post this week. My 52 Ancestor post last week made the top three blog posts highlighted.

52 Ancestors—Week 28: Transportation—Lorene’s Saga Around the World, Part V—By Boat to Cairo I continued the story of my aunt, Lorene Hork, who took a vacation with three girlfriends from Tokyo to England aboard mostly boats. This leg was from Bombay to Cairo.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I did not spend much time with my normal groups, but did meet with Amigos. I had meetings with the AppGen members and another with the attorney, and with CGS events group about a new members roundtable.

Webinars & Classes Attended
: I attended no webinars but two DNA classes on Zoom for the upcoming IGHR institute on Beginning DNA. She covered how to navigate four DNA websites: Ancestry, Family Tree DNA, 23andMe, and MyHeritage.  

Client Work/Presentations: I continued working a bit on the client work. I am also working on lesson plans for the upcoming Land institute class I’m teaching this fall. Part of that is creating in-class exercises and case studies for homework during the week. I will also need to start working on the Adult School lessons which begin in October. All of this needs to be done before our train trip in September.

My partners and I announced the start of a new practicum-based institute called Applied Genealogy Institute, AppGen for short. We rolled out the website and made the announcement on Facebook and other sites. For now, there are to be three courses in the fall and interested people can sign up for our mailing list. We'll have sign ups soon. I am teaching a land class, Mary an Irish class, and Jill a class on context. These courses will be held weekly for four weeks with in-class exercises and case studies for homework. Our motto is Learning by Doing. Sure hope we get signups!

Volunteer & Own Work:
I found a DNA match that points to one of my husband’s Davey line. I couldn’t find much about George T. Davey Jr. and am not sure if I found the correct wife.

Other:
We attended the Nilsen Family Reunion in Elk Grove on Saturday, bringing cold cuts and coffee cake for the potluck. We got there late, due to traffic and most had already eaten, so we brought most of the cake home. Good seeing so many there. It was cancelled last year due to the pandemic. Afterwards, we went to Norman’s brother’s house for dinner and got home pretty late. It was quite warm at the picnic but luckily there were nice large shade trees.

I’m reading the following books (I know, I’m crazy):

  • The Stepsisters by Susan Mallery -- FINISHED!
  • After the Worst Thing Happens by Audrey Vernick– FINISHED!
  • Brave Like That by Lindsey Stoddard
  • Girl Waits with a Gun by Amy Stewart
  • Zotero for Genealogists by Donna Cox Baker

Photos for this week: I went on a walk with friends on Monday to the Martinez Marina and these are some of the shots taken.





Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments