Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Elementary School Memories

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Here is our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing:

1)  What elementary school memories do you have?  Share some of them - pick a year, or discuss the whole experience.  Was this one of the best times in your life?  Or not?


2)  Tell us about your elementary school memories and the highlights of that time of your life - in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or on Facebook.  Be sure to leave a comment with a link to your blog post on this post.

Here’s mine:

I attended three different schools in my elementary school career.

My first school was Pittsburg Primary School, which was located on Railroad Avenue. Below is a photo of the school, but the Kindergarten building was separate. It was three blocks from our house, so I probably walked. Perhaps either my mother or my grandmother walked with me. I only attended this school for kindergarten. I don’t remember much about this class except the teacher making me drink milk from those small cartons. I have never really liked milk.

My second school was St. Peter Martyr, which was located 560 Montezuma Street. Today, I would say it was too far for me to walk to, and I only remember walking there with my brother when I was in third grade and he was in first. This school was taught by Dominican Sisters. There were first through ninth grades at the school and we wore uniforms with maroon sweaters. Our uniform changed from second to third which probably didn’t please my parents. The classes were larger, perhaps up to fifty and the playground didn’t have any equipment. We played asphalt games like four-square or hopscotch, or jump rope. The only nun’s name I remember is Sister Eileen.


In the middle of third grade, we moved to Walnut Creek, and started with the public school, Parkmead Elementary, which was a K-6th grade school located at 1920 Magnolia Ave. My first few days were uncomfortable, as when the teacher called on me and I stood up, the class laughed. Also, I didn’t seem to make the cursive letters the same and had to relearn them.

This school had a nice playground with swings, monkey bars, tetherball poles, and grass fields for softball and kickball. In fourth grade, I remember playing double hopscotch, four-square, and jacks. P.E. consisted of kickball, prison ball, and dodgeball. We rode a school bus to school but walked home because our stop was the last one.

I remember my teacher’s names:

  • 3rd: Mrs. Rose
  • 4th: Mrs. Eckhardt
  • 5th: Mrs. Griffin
  • 6th: Mr. Carlin

Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Very impressive! I don't remember those kinds of details about my early elementary schools. I love your hair in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wished I remembered more -- just tiny bits of pieces of memory.

      Delete
  2. Three elementary schools is a lot of change for a little kid. I love that you have school photos, though. #10 School didn't take any in all the years I was there. Not even class photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame you have no school photos. I don't know what happened to my class photos. My mother's storage place got infested with mice and I think those papers got tossed.

      Delete
  3. I love the uniforms. Did you miss the sisters when you moved to public school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some more than others. My second grade nun was young and so nice.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.