Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of June 28–July 4, 2021

I have completed sixty-eight (68) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. Another quiet week, going out only for the History Center twice and to phenology.

Genealogy

Blog Writing: I wrote three posts this week!

52 Ancestors—Week 26: Conflict—Learning More About Amos Gorrell’s Experience in Battle at Chickamauga During the Civil War I researched what his unit, Co A of the 18th Ohio Infantry did at the Battle of Chickamauga in Tennessee and Alabama.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Genealogy Pot Luck Randy is dealing with the injury to his wife and decided to have us do what we wanted. I wrote about working on a Civil War widows’ pension file.

Finding Civil War Era Record of Service Unit Records – 4th Missouri Infantry & Andreas Pfotenhauer. This is a continuation of last week’s post about researching in these Civil War era records, this time about what the regiment and unit did.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I met with Monday Morning, Amigos, and the Peer Group. I’m enjoying the working through the documentation book with the Peer group. We all were present and had a good discussion.

Webinars & Classes Attended
: I attended no classes or webinars this week.

Client Work/Presentations: I presented the Intro to Genealogy: Vital Records class with the California Genealogical Society on Zoom. I finished off a client report and emailed it.

Volunteer & Own Work:
For my own work, this week I continued working on the blog posts about the Civil War records I am finding on one of my husband’s collateral lines. It’s great using what I learned in the GRIP class.

I also figured out how to put a “Follow by Feedly” button on my blog, so help encourage people to read my posts on a blog reader, since the email function no longer works.

Other: Pretty boring week. No Fourth of July celebrations. Hopefully it’s quiet tonight.

I’m reading the following books (I know, I’m crazy):

  • Black Newspapers & America’s War for Democracy, 1914-1920 by William G Jordan
  • Girl Waits with a Gun by Amy Stewart
  • Researching and Writing History by David Dymond
  • Zotero for Genealogists by Donna Cox Baker
  • The Stepsisters by Susan Mallery

Photos for this week:






Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Love your photos. I need to figure out the feedly info for my blog too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.