Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Tell Us About a Favorite Aunt or Uncle

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Here is our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing:

1)  Most people have aunts and uncles in their life, the siblings of their parents, and in some cases, great-aunts or uncles, the siblings of their grandparents.  Who are/were our favorite aunts and/or uncles?


Here's mine:

My mother had no siblings, although she did have cousins. Her maternal side all lived in Texas and we never saw them. A couple of her aunts and uncles visited our grandparents and we met them.

My father, Bill, had three older sisters and since they lived nearby most of the time, we saw them regularly. The oldest was Lorene, who married Wally, but they had no children. Next was Virginia, who married Johnnie and they had four children. The last sister was June, who married Gene, and they had five children. My dad married Lela Nell (Lea) and had six children.

We probably got together with the Hork clan about once a year while we were growing up. It was always a little awkward when we first got there, as it took some time to break the ice, but by the end of the visit, we were thick into games and activities and didn’t want to leave. It was really too bad we didn’t visit each other more often.

Here is a photo of my dad with his sisters when they were young.

June, Virginia, Nana, Lorene, and Billy in the front. Location unknown, but likely So. Cal.

Here is a photo much later in life after everyone was retired. They often got together for each other’s birthdays.

June, Bill, Lorene, & Virginia - Lorene's birthday

Lorene was probably the fun aunt, because she let us do things a parent would never. Later in life, I enjoyed all of my aunts very much. They were very helpful with my genealogy quests. I sure wished I had asked more questions, but every once in a while I have another to ask, and there is no one left to answer. I would love to know where the first photo was taken. Those buildings in the background are distinctive.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. The building in the background of the first photo looks similar to Mission architecture, which is relatively common in Southern California. If you know what cities are most likely for the photo, maybe you could try asking some of the local libraries if anyone could help you try to identify the building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. The last address for them in So. California was in San Bernardino (1940 census) in town. They also lived in Ontario sometime, too. They almost look like farm buildings.

      Delete
  2. Janice is correct about So. Cal. It looks like that to me, too. I am a bit familiar with the Ontario streets and that looks like it could be in Ontario. I rarely went to San Bernardino, so have no idea about those neighborhoods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input. I'm afraid these farming areas are probably full of houses today. I found a contact form for the Ontario Museum of History and Art and will contact them. Perhaps I can send a copy of the image for their view and identification.

      Delete
  3. What is your dad holding in the black and white photo?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.