Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Genealogy Pot Luck!


Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings has had a bad week and wrote for this week: “I'm not in the mood for a long Saturday Night Genealogy Fun (SNGF) blog post, but I know that my readers count on me and love to have genealogy fun, so tonight (and tomorrow) let's do:”

GENEALOGY POT LUCK!! Whatever genealogy fun you want to do - please spend an hour and do it!  Then tell us about it in your own blog post.

My thoughts and prayers are with Randy and his wife, Linda. I hope things improve soon for them.

This afternoon, I have spent more than an hour reviewing and writing about a widows’ Civil War pension I have found on Fold3 for one of the collateral lines of my husband’s Davey family. This will be the third post about the service and later pension of Andreas Pfotenhauer of Herman, Missouri and the 4th Missouri Infantry. He died during service and his widow filed for a pension.

I learned from the military class I took at GRIP last week to take the documents and rearrange them into chronological order, so I have spent a couple of hours working on that, by entering each sheet’s summary into an Excel file. There are 35 sheets and I’ve have completed about half of them. The SF Giants’ game has distracted me.

I hope to finish the analysis and get the post written tomorrow. I better work on it before the Giants game comes on!


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. It is so helpful to put the documents into chronological order! They always make more sense to us that way. Did you also record the order in which they were when you received them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. There are some nice documents in the file. Even the town doctor gave an affidavit about treating the soldier.

      Delete
  2. I love the Pfotenhauer surname. I can only imagine the number of ways that was spelled. Kind of like Stufflebean! Good luck with your analysis and write up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Surprisingly, it's been spelled correctly most of the time. They lived in a German community, so the other recordkeepers were German, too. However, when they signed their names, they used the German script!

      Delete
  3. I need to do this for my 3x great grandfather. Can’t wait to read the rest of your story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.