Skip to main content

Davey Cousins: Some Immigrated to America, Others to Australia

Researching our family trees brings me great joy when I find extended cousins. The best way to discover these third, fourth, and even fifth cousins is to put your genealogy out there. I do that by having a tree on Ancestry and by writing about family on my two blogs.

I have two trees on Ancestry. One is private and is a complete tree that I uploaded several years ago. The other tree is a public tree of my direct lines to be used for DNA matching. I should probably upload a new private tree because I have made changes and additions. I have also uploaded a direct line tree for my husband’s DNA matching.

Cousin Bait
I primarily use Ancestry to access the wonderful records and only occasionally look at other members’ family trees. But that can be a mistake. Looking at their trees helps you connect with cousins, cousins who might have photos, documents, letters, and other interesting items about the family.

Back in 2019, I reached out to a member who had Davey names in her tree. I asked if she was a member of the Thomas N. Davey family, as I was looking for photos of his parents and siblings. My husband’s great-grandfather was the youngest brother.

Boy, was I surprised when she replied. She was not connected to Thomas N. Davey, but rather to the father, Thomas Davey by way of Thomas’ younger brother, James Davey, who was her 3rd great-grandfather. It turns out that James Davey immigrated to Australia in 1848. Thomas immigrated to America in 1852. James was a blacksmith just like Thomas. It has been easier to locate information about Thomas in Cornwall records full of Davey men because instead of being a miner, he was a blacksmith. Their sister, Jane, also went to Australia with her husband.

Connecting with the Australian cousin gave me two more names of the children of James Davey and Elizabeth Hocking. She did not have the photos I was looking for but does have a photo of James the son and his son, Thomas. Don’t you just love how they used the same names over and over?

Now I have cousins in Australia that we can meet sometime.

Conclusion
Don’t just take information and attached documents from other member trees. Do message the owners, as you never know what you might learn!

#52Ancestors-Week 51: Cousins

This is my sixth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.


Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. How fortunate that you heard from the Australian cousin! Too often my messages to others aren't answered, sorry to say, even when I offer to share photos that aren't on my public tree. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I get answers about 50% of the time. Some contact me, and then when I answer, I never hear from them again. This one is a serious researcher.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.