Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Nov 27–Dec 3, 2023

I have completed one hundred ninety-five (195) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. My only forays out of the house were two trips to the History Center, one trip to the OFSC, and a stint with San Ramon Branch of the SP exhibit at the Museum of the San Ramon Valley.  

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings
The only meeting I had this week was a quick hour with Jacqueline and I got caught up on the Covid and their packing adventures.

Genealogy Writing/Research
I had to take a trip to the Oakland FamilySearch Center to look at a locked film so I could finish up my research report. This means I finished up my portfolio work for my BCG renewal. I turned it in and now I have to wait for it to be judged--likely two to three months. I expire on February 22.

I’m not sure what my next project will be. I have so many unfinished projects, that I need to just pick one. Will it be writing up my parents’ story, my own story, or work on my WWI California soldiers study? Perhaps I’ll work on all three, taking turns.

Blog Posts Published:

Saloons: A Magnet forTroublemakers? I had trouble finding something to write for week 48’s theme of troublemakers. I finally settled on writing about two guys who ran saloons.

SNGF: Your 2023 “DearGenea-Santa” Letter. Like a typical Santa letter, I listed how I was a good genealogist and then what I would like from Santa for Christmas.  

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
Our AppGen meeting this week was canceled. I did work on preparing for the research in church records presentation and handout for the upcoming presentation to the Sacramento Public Library on December 16.

With two trips to the History Center this week, I got a lot done. I entered the most recent acquisitions into PastPerfect and put them away. We got a couple of books for the library, so I entered them into the library database before shelving them. I came up with a scheme for labeling the books and have started entering that into the database. Once done, we can upload it to PastPerfect and then upload to the website. Traci came in and looked at a collection that we then reorganized. She also helped me locate the interviews done by the EBRPD and they will all find a new home in the center.

On Thursday, we had the board meeting for the historical society on Zoom and I took the minutes.

Webinars/Courses Viewed:

  • The Erie Canal and the Opening of the Midwest by Annette Burke Lyttle (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • Following a Family Migration: New Jersey to Iowa the Long Way Around by Annette Burke Lyttle (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • 5 Ways to Use ChatGPT for Genealogy by Cheri Hudson Passey (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • Performing Genealogy Research at the Texas General Land Office by Kevin Klaus (Dallas Genealogical Society)

Other
Some model railroad friends have built an N-scale modular layout of the Southern Pacific branch along the San Ramon Valley from San Ramon to Clyde, depicting the railroad in the 1920s. Presently, it is set up in the exhibit room at the Museum of the San Ramon Valley in Danville. The museum is open six days a week and they needed help in being there to run it and discuss it with visitors. So, I have volunteered to help on six of those days during the month of December. This past week I ran the passenger train back and forth most of the afternoon. We had twelve visitors, three of them little boys. The gang is still trying to get me to build a piece where the Sacramento Northern crossed the SP at Las Juntas to fit in their layout. For the SN part, I have to build trolley wire on the crossing and the siding interchange track.

I am reading:

  • Lincoln & California by Brian McGinty—FINISHED!
  • Skirts by Kimberly Chrisman-Campbell

Photos for this week. No hike again this week as it was raining in the morning. This is a photo at the Meadow where I do phenology once a week. We had a full moon during the week and it could see it early on Thursday.

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I have been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments