Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Dec 11-17, 2023

I have completed one hundred ninety-seven (197) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I was out way too much this week and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don’t get sick.  

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings
There was no meeting with Jacqueline this week due to her packing and moving duties. I attended the Kinseekers Military SIG meeting and it was nice to hear some of the members’ success stories. Stewart and I were the only ones at Amigos and we got caught up on our activities since the retreat. I attended the last thirty minutes of the monthly OFSC staff meeting because I lost track of time. I also hosted the monthly CGS Roundtable meeting solo but we had eight people. Lastly, the 5 genie ladies met at a restaurant and we have decided to meet like this quarterly.

Genealogy Writing/Research
I continued working on my WWI Study, still focusing on Harold R Gleeson. I contacted one of his heirs about trying to obtain a military record at the state historical society that is restricted to only family. She is excited to do this.

After talking with my husband, I decided to write up the research I had done for his friend, Rod. I shall put it all together along with many of the documents because he is interested in seeing those as well as learning the story. So instead of a photobook, I will do it on regular paper and place it either in a binder or have it spiral bound. When I started to write and return to websites to help with current citations, I found tons more information! I had done this work previously before so many newspapers have been digitized and other documents have been placed at FamilySearch. This paragraph should probably be under volunteer/work but Rod is a dear friend and I do not think of his family as “work.”

Blog Posts Published:

Who Was the Top Cook of1987? Faye Moon! This week’s theme was “You wouldn’t believe it.” I wrote about my grandmother’s cousin who could not believe she won a best cook contest from a magazine.

SNGF: Linda Stufflebean’s Updated “December Meme” We answered twenty questions about holidays. I somehow forgot to answer question number 2.   

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
At the History Center this week, I continued working on donations and the library database. We canceled the board meeting because we did not have a quorum but a quorum of board members did attend the holiday party at the Center on Saturday. We had a good turnout and there were some nice treats to eat.

I gave my final presentation of the year to the Sacramento Public Library via Zoom on Saturday. This was about church records and I had some good comments and questions at the end. It does seem there are far fewer questions asked at virtual presentations than at live ones.

Webinars/Courses Viewed:

  • Right, Wrong, or it Depends: Ethics for the Professional Genealogist by Judy G. Russell (APG)
  • Where Did Your US Ancestors Go to Church? 5 Ways to Find Out by Sunny Morton (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)

Other: I volunteered again at the N-scale modular layout of the Southern Pacific branch along the San Ramon Valley from San Ramon to Clyde that is set up in the exhibit room at the Museum of the San Ramon Valley in Danville. We had many more visitors today and I spent much of the time operating a freight train and doing some switching. I got one of the guys to take a photo of me operating.

Instead of a walk, the Walker’s Group had a holiday party at one of the member’s homes in Concord. It was fun to figure out who everyone was as they were dressed in holiday clothes instead of hiking clothes. Often it was not until they spoke that I knew who they were! A few of us walked the neighborhood before lunch along the open space in the center of the housing complex. We watched a great egret staring into the pond completely ignoring us. Later, Nick said he saw the bird get something. There was also a snowy egret and a green heron at the pond, along with two sunning turtles.

Our Friends of Alhambra Creek group asked the city and CalTrans for permission to have a mural painted on the concrete wall underneath a freeway overpass. After raising money, the mural got started this week. I helped on the first day by painting some dark blue and teal paint with a roller brush. (My back is still sore). It’s going to be a beautiful scene of nature on both sides of the road.

Finally, on Sunday, we drove up to Sacramento to have a holiday party with my husband’s brother, Brian. His daughter, Kate, and her husband, Will, are here from London for a couple of weeks. Our daughter, Elizabeth, and Brian’s younger daughter, Maddy were also there. We called up my youngest daughter, Margaret, on the computer and spent time talking with her, too. After eating, we played games. It was a joy to see everyone!

However, we got home late. We left at eleven and needed to stop to charge the car. The chargers at Davis were out of service and we did not have enough charge to continue to Vacaville, so we went over to another high-speed charger owned by Electrify America. They have only one plug that fits our older car and someone was using that station so we had to wait about thirty minutes. We also had to set up a new account, which took time. We did not get home until 2 am.

I am reading:

  • The Coldest Case by Martin Walker—FINISHED!
  • The President’s Wife by Tracey Enerson Wood

Photos for this week. Lots of activities for photos this week! Painting the mural, running the train, and Christmas with the Gorrells.



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I have been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.