Skip to main content

SNGF -- Christmas Weather 1967

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans: 

It's Saturday Night again - 

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to tell him about our Christmas weather experiences:

 1)  What Christmas-time weather have you experienced?  Does it snow at Christmas-time where you live?  What are the likely temperatures at Christmas time??

Here’s mine:

We have lived in California all our lives, so the worst weather we would have had on Christmas Day would be rain. However, I do not remember any rainy days on Christmas, or at least the rain did not negatively affect our day.

Weather in December can range from cold, below 30 days in the morning when there is a thin layer of frost on the ground, fences, and roofs to balmy, sunny days of temperatures in the high 60s or low 70s. These latter days were the best when Santa had brought toys that were best played with outdoors. In between these two extremes might be overcast, foggy days where the fog never burns off.

Getting a bike, skateboard, roller skates, BB gun, or a basketball, necessitated going outdoors to give the new toy a spin. Here is a shot of my two brothers along with my sister trying out new bows and arrows. Of course, our parents would have insisted they go outside to play with the new toys. See their short sleeves, the weather was balmy that Christmas.

I checked the website Weather Underground where I could enter the date of December 25, 1967, and I found the day was pretty nice, getting as high as 70 degrees.

When getting our Christmas tree each year in the evening after our father got home from work, I remember it would be cool and overcast, and we could see our breaths. To me, that kind of weather always felt like Christmas. If I check the monthly history for the same year, I can see which dates had high humidity, which likely indicated the days we had the low valley fog. We always waited until after December 11 to get the tree, as the 11th was my brother’s birthday. It was fun to wander through the tree lot with the misty fog covering up the trees at the other end of the lot.

I think it would be fun to spend at least one Christmas in a place where it snows as long as I can stay indoors in front of a crackling fire drinking hot cocoa, but I’m glad for our mild weather and not having to trudge through the snow to get somewhere.


Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. My family never had a real Christmas tree. We always had an artificial one (which my mother called the Chanukah bush). I've also never lived anywhere with really heavy snow, but I agree it is best enjoyed inside.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.