Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Dec 7-13, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed thirty-nine (39) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I did phenology with Shirley at the meadow as usual. I went to an MRI appointment at the hospital in Walnut Creek and stopped in quickly for marzipan at Cost Plus. Sunday, I woke with aches, developed a fever a little over a 100 and a headache. So far, I can smell and taste stuff. No sore throat and I’m breathing fine. Let’s hope it’s not worse on Monday. If so, I’ll call for a COVID test. 

Genealogy

Blog Writing:
Blogs posted this past week: I did not blog writing this week. I recycled a blog about my father-in-law’s photo he took on VE-Day for the 52 Ancestors and skipped Saturday Night Genealogy Fun altogether.

Online Study Groups Attended: 
The study groups I attended were:

  • Monday Morning had 13 people present.
  • I met with Jacqueline on Monday afternoon.
  • On Wednesday, the four of us Amigos met.
  • I attended the GenProof study group with Tom Jones.
  • Thursday evening three of us discussed Linda’s projects.
  • Friday, six of us met with the Cert Peer Group where we discussed the Shannon Green webinar.

Webinars Attended:
I viewed no webinars.

Client Work/Presentations:
No client work or presentations.

Volunteer Work:
No volunteer work this week. The History Center is still closed due to Covid. 

Own Work:
I worked on the first of four lessons for the winter quarter beginning genealogy class I’m teaching at the Adult School in February. I thought I had a lesson all ready but decided it was too advanced for this group, so am reworking.

Other:
The only class this week was German with Nancy on Monday.

I attended Gena’s Book Club where we got to hear from Amy Stewart who wrote the book Kopp Sisters Take a March. We all loved the book and I enjoyed hearing all of the background story behind her research.

I finished several books this week, bringing my year list up to 32 out of the 50 I had challenged myself. Not sure I’ll make it. The books I finished were:

  • Rock With Wings by Anne Hillerman
  • Creating Family Archives by Margot Note
  • How to Archive Family Keepsakes by Denise May Levenick

Books I am reading are:

  • Murder on St. Nicholas Avenue by Victoria Thompson
  • A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage

Some books that I ordered that arrived:

  • The Washingtons of Wessyngton Plantation by John F. Baker Jr.
  • Yanks Behind the Lines by Jeffrey B Miller

Photos taken this week, one at the meadow and one at the marina, where I went hoping to see a Sora and Virginia Rail because of high tide. The two previous days, they were seen, but this day was cold and windy. They were probably hunkered down.

Alhambra Creek at the Marina

Sky at the meadow

Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.