Skip to main content

SNGF -- Have You Helped Someone With Their Genealogy?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

 
Our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to:

1) Have you helped someone (a friend, a colleague, someone you did not know, etc.) with their genealogy and family history?  Genea-blogger Ellen Thompson-Jennings wrote on this topic last month in Have You Helped Someone With Their Genealogy? on Hound on the Hunt.

Here is mine:
I have tried researching for others (i.e., having clients) but I did not really like doing it. I hate taking money for something that I cannot solve. I do lookups and record pulls—that is okay, no pressure there.

For my husband’s friend, Rod, I have researched pro bono his Hulaniski, Kerr, Lewis, and McCalla families. His immigrant ancestor, Julian Hulaniski, was supposedly exiled and deported to America from Poland for his participation in the insurrection against Russia. His son, Julian, claimed he lost a vast fortune. I have never been able to substantiate any of the story, but I have not tried very hard. Polish and Russian research is not my fortĂ©. However, I have researched Julian’s descendants down to Rod.

His great-grandfather, Frederick Hulaniski, was a well-known newspaperman in many localities of the West and wrote a history of Contra Costa County. His 2x-great-granduncle, Edmund, was a politician in Ogden, Utah.

I think that Rod was very interested in the things I found out about his family. Someday, I may write the genealogy. As I look at the research I did, there are many resources I used that are derivative and I would need to locate the original sources. With a name like Hulaniski, it was easy to locate the many newspaper articles about the family. As I look at his tree, I see areas in the third and fourth generations that are blank. It would be good to revisit those lines.



Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I agree with you on not taking clients. Although I enjoyed it for a while, I always gave a client more time than they paid for and, once, when I was at a research impasse and still had money paid to me for more time, I actually refunded the remainder. The client was shocked that I was so honest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Rod was interested in the research that you did. I hope he has shared it with his family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.