Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of March 25-31, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing: I wrote the following blog post this week:
  • 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks For week 13, I wrote about my husband’s grandfather who was sued but the husband of the woman who was killed in an auto accident.
  • For Saturday Night Genealogy Fun, we were asked to write about our ancestor’s occupation and I covered my parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents.

Webinars/Study Groups Attended:  I attended:
  • I participated in the DearMyrtle AmericanGen study group as we worked on Chapter 21, about transcribing and abstracting deeds and probate records
  • My Thursday evening certification study group spoke about conferences. Our assignment next time is to read the chapter on Transcriptions in the Professional Genealogy book. I sent my homework from the AmericanGen study group to everyone to see how I handle transcriptions to abstract.
  • Friday’s Group spoke a bit about teaching genealogy and will continue the discussion next week.
  • I attended the Sacramento German Genealogical Society’s meeting.

I volunteered at the Contra Costa County Historical Society’s History Center on Wednesday, in order to meet with Scott and Priscilla to work on finding additional space. We came up with some solutions in a variety of places.

I also volunteered at the Oakland FamilySearch Library on Wednesday. I met two new volunteers and worked on some of my own work, downloading images from “locked” films.

Own Work. This week I worked on Nathan Polly’s family in Lewis County, Kentucky, and I may have found his parents and siblings! Over the weekend, I spent several hours scanning photos and then processing them in Photoshop Elements. I am hoping to purchase archival boxes soon to prepare my own family archive.

I met with my youngest sister, Renee, on Monday and gathered some more photos to scan for the possible book. We also discussed several topics to include in the book.

Other Activities
Still weeding in my front yard, removing grass and other weeds between the many California Poppy plants. I transplanted some geraniums in the bare spots and planted the four plants brought to me by my daughter.

We had an open house at the Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society on Friday and I operated the two hours. A crazy night with lots of trains either derailing or cars detaching. Luckily the public never realizes.

I celebrated my 65th birthday on Tuesday. I got a nice birthday card from Katherine Willson. I had  lunch with my friend, Mike. My daughter, Elizabeth, came for a visit and then we ate at Kobi Japan. The hibachi was pretty good.




Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments