Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of Sep 16-22, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing: I was busy with other activities and only got one post in this week.
  • 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: For the “cousins” theme, I showed two photos from our archives of Nilsen cousins and Hork cousins.

Webinars/Study Groups Attended: 
  • "Civil Law Concepts and Genealogy"—Claire Bettag, Legacy Family Tree Webinars


Conference Attended:
I attended the Association of Professional Genealogists Professional Management Conference in Salt Lake City, Utah held at the RL Hotel from September 22-24, with a pre-conference activities on the 21st. I was a mentor to two first-time attendees, Robyn Buehler and Marybethe Kelly. I also spent time with other first-timers, especially Franchesca Werden.

Robyn, Lisa, & Franchesca
Lisa & Marybethe
My favorite session was when we spent the 75 minutes networking with others in the room. I met two people (Julie & ReNae) who do editing, which will come in handy when I write my next family history. I met David, who lives in Cork City, Ireland, and maybe someday I’ll go to County Cork and hire him to take me around. Got to know Michelle better and learned to submit to NW Genealogy Conference. Janice is willing to do Family History Library film and book look-ups. It was fast-paced and we all wished we could have kept going.

We also learned a lot about the business of genealogy and client work. The speakers were all excellent. I was responsible for bringing out the BCG portfolios, so met a lot of people interested in certification. I had a nice chat with Diana Elder at the ICAPGEN table discussing options about accreditation.

Best of all was the small conference was full of genealogy peers. It was one big hug after another. I can’t wait until next year when it will be in Portland, Oregon.

Members of the California Genealogical Society at the PMC


Own Work:
I worked this week on my article for the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society’s newsletter, Descendants, about researching at the Lafayette Historical Society. It will be out in the October issue. I also saw the proof of my book review for the National Genealogical Society Quarterly that will come out this quarter.

Other:
Got a new phone ordered on Sunday, as my old phone could not be fixed. I’m getting a Google Pixel which works on the Google Fi network I have already been using. I hope it comes soon. It was very difficult not having a phone while in Utah.


I attended the Coast Division (of the National Model Railroad Association) meet on Sunday thanks to Bob picking me up at the airport. The clinics were interesting on modeling scenery, making distressed wood, and using different adhesives. I talked to a lot of people to get information for my first report as Director of Coast Division to the Pacific Coast Region (of the NMRA) board meeting next month. I’m looking forward to serving the division.

Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments