Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of April 1–7, 2024

I have completed two hundred and thirteen (213) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. This week besides the History Center, I ran trains at a friend’s home, stood in line for three hours at Russian River Brewery for Pliny the Younger (and I don’t even like beer), and volunteered at the Oakland FamilySearch Center.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings:  
Monday, Jacqueline and I continued discussion our upcoming Texas trip. I received some good advice about places to conduct research in Erath County and showed her some of the options. These are the same to look for in other counties. Our Cert Peer Group met on Friday and after checking in with everyone, we discussed the third chapter in the Advanced Genetic Genealogy book, the chapter on X-DNA.

Genealogy Writing/Research:
I continued working on documents I have found for NHO Polly and started a timeline. I will be looking for deeds and court records in Dallas County. After several emails back and forth with county officials, Kelvin Meyers told me they are available on microfilm at the Dallas Public Library. Score! We were planning to go there. Now I only need to make one trip.

I worked on next week’s 52 Ancestors post and did some additional research into the school teacher, Margaret Gleeson, my great-grandaunt. I was disappointed to not find any images of the schools she taught at in Portland. There probably are photos somewhere in an archive and I’ll have to do some queries before I ever write the Gleeson history.

Blog Post Published:

Lovingly Made by Mom. For 52 Ancestors, I shared images of the cookbook our mother made each of us when we got married. Her favorite recipes with commentary. Linda Stufflebean highlighted this post this past week.

SNGF: When Has Someone Helped You Find a Record or Solve a Mystery? I wrote about how my friend Susan helped me get started and that her monthly roundtable meeting was great for sharing and asking for help.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
I answered a few queries this past week at the History Center. It seems lots of people were interested in court records. I discovered several gaps in the court records we have. Unfortunately, it was that time frame that one of the queries wanted.

The Oakland FamilySearch Center on Wednesday was quiet as it has been yhese past few months, so I worked at scanning documents at their copy machine and then recycling most of the paper. Another few more papers gone from my files!

I need to decide whether I will teach a course for AppGen this fall. Several students in the last class I taught requested I teach the probate class again. I guess it depends on if we’re taking a fall vacation, too. I might want to take a Fall SLIG class as well. Gena Philibert-Ortega has a class on Death; Karen Stanbary has a class on writing; and Jan Joyce has one on assembling proof arguments.

On Thursday, I met with the archivist at the history room at the Marin Library. She wanted me to present some genealogy workshops and we worked out a date in July where I’ll come and do two presentations, one on getting started with genealogy research and the other on how to research in libraries and archives.

Webinars/Courses Viewed:

  • PERSI for Professionals by Elizabeth Hodges (APG)
  • Solving a Virginia Mystery using DNA by Paula Williams (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)

Other:
Our weekly walk was to the Mt. Diablo State Park and we hiked in the Donner Canyon, about three miles. Lots of wildflowers within about three different habitats. A great hike.  

My husband and I met our daughter, Elizabeth in Santa Rosa. We drove up to the Russian River Brewery in Windsor. It was the two weeks that the Pliny the Younger is released and this was their twentieth year. The line was long but we made it in time to have dinner. We each got to purchase 3 bottles. I gave away two this week to my friends Phred and Tony. I don’t care for beer and didn’t even try it in the restaurant. However, it is fun to give the bottles away and spend the day with our daughter.

I operated on Tony’s layout on Saturday and was teamed up with Seth. We made some crazy moves but managed to finish anyway. It was fun.   

I am reading:

  • Woman, Captain, Rebel by Margaret Wilson

 Photos for this week.





Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments