Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of August 19–25, 2024

I have completed two hundred and thirty-two (232) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. Besides phenology, I volunteered at the History Center and the Oakland FamilySearch Center. I also attended the historical society’s event, Author in the Archives on Sunday.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings:  
Jacqueline and I met on Monday on Zoom and again on Saturday by phone. Also on Monday, I attended Kinseekers and this was the first time no one had sent in a question. Some of us shared some of our recent findings and I shared about discovering my uncle served on two ships in the San Francisco Bay during WWII.

Genealogy Writing/Research:
This week, I spent most of my research time reviewing the files I collected on my research trip to Texas last May. I had photographed pages from several books at different libraries and historical societies. I renamed each file and made a complete PDF of all the images. Lastly, I moved them into a “book” folder under the appropriate surname folder. These books will be used as background information when I begin to write. Some tell the history of the counties and others the history of churches.

Blog Post Published:

Mother was a Member of the Pittsburg Junior Woman’s Club. For 52 Ancestors’ theme of “Member of the Club,” I wrote about the newspaper articles documenting my mother’s membership in the local Junior Woman’s Club. This post was highlighted at Friday’s Family History Finds.

SNGF:Did Any of Your Ancestors Suffer the Loss of a Parent at a Young Age? Randy asked us to write about any of our ancestors who may have been orphaned at a young person by one or both parents dying. My grandfather’s mother died when he was ten and had three younger brothers and sisters.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
I am getting close to the end of the work on the Pleasant Hill Historical Society Collection. Most of it is in new folders and boxes. I need to write a finding aid next. On Sunday, I manned the registration table at the Author in the Archive event held at the William Welch Wines in Martinez. Our speaker, Dan Hanel, gave a wonderful history of the wine industry in Contra Costa County. He writes historical mysteries and I bought his last two books: Ghosts of Black Diamond and Beneath the Tangled Vines. I had previously read his two earlier books: Mystery of the Great Stone House and Death at the Healing Waters. He is a science teacher, and his main characters are teachers who solve mysteries.

Matt and I met twice about the upcoming NGS conference. We selected the proposals at our second meeting.

At our AppGen founder meeting, we discussed the upcoming registration, which would be opening on Thursday, and our call for proposals for our spring session. I spent time this weekend promoting the classes on Facebook.

Webinars/Courses Viewed:

  • He Had a Brother Who Disappeared by Debbie Mieszala, CG (BCG/LFTWebinars)
  • Analyzing Deeds & Wills: What Does it Mean? by Elizabeth Shown Mills (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)

Other:
We celebrated our 44th anniversary at a Lebanese restaurant in San Ramon. It was delicious and there was so much food, that I took some home for future meals.

I am reading:

  • Doctored Evidence by Donna Leon
  • American Fly Girl by Susan Tate Ankeny
  • Journeys of the Forgotten: The Orphans of Hamilton County, Iowa by Jill Morelli

Photos for this week. We hiked the Buckeye Ranch Trail at Briones Regional Park and then visited the home of one of our hikers to see her native plant garden and have lunch. It was pretty dry on the trail. So instead, I have some shots taken in my neighborhood after a small sprinkle.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. As always, you've been very busy. Happy Monday! Beautiful photos, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.