Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of Dec 2-8, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:


Webinars/Study Groups Attended:   
I attended the Friday study groups this week, where we caught up from a few weeks absence.  
I watched three videos on writing your family history by Lynn Palermo of Family History Writing Studio:
  • 5 Keys to Success, Write Your Family History Stories
  • 7 Myths About Writing Family History Stories-Debunked
  • Your Blueprint to an Ancestor’s Story


Client Work:
No Work this week.

Volunteer Work:
I opened up at the History Center this week and Priscilla is back. I am still working on special collections that need to be processed or put away. I continued to file away some items into the subject/town files in the library.

I worked at the FamilySearch Library in Oakland, helping a woman start on her research at FamilySearch and Ancestry. The outside decorations were just gorgeous.


Own Work:
I searched through the tax records in Marlborough Township in Carleton Co, Ontario, Canada at OFSL for Michael Gleeson. I also downloaded some newspaper articles at GenealogyBank.com that will be discontinued soon. I got some Coor articles from the Copiahan in Copiah County, Mississippi, Loveless articles from the Conway Log Cabin in Faulkner County, Arkansas, and Lancaster articles from the Fresno Bee in Fresno County, California.

I also worked on a member of the Davey family, Joseph H. McFall, the grandson of immigrants Thomas and Mary Davey. I found quite a few documents on Ancestry and FamilySearch, including his marriage, draft registration, and first wife's death certificate.

I have written several blog posts to be scheduled for publication throughout the next two weeks.

Other:
It has been a rainy and dreary week outside and I stayed home most of the week, reading, doing laundry, and working on genealogy. Sunday, I worked the Coast Meet auction and attended a couple of clinics. Then at 11:59, we left SFO for NYC and a nice visit with our daughter, Margaret.

There will be no Genea-pouri next week, as I am not taking my computer on the trip. I haven’t mastered the art of writing on my phone or iPad mini. I will have a synopsis of our trip the following week.


Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments