Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of October 11–17, 2021

I have completed eighty-three (83) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. This past week I left the house to volunteer at the CCCHS History Center, do phenology, and take the Capital Corridor train to the California State Railroad Museum with the Coast Division of the PCR.  

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

52 Ancestors—Week 41: Changes—What My Grandmother Saw in a Hundred Years I wrote about the inventions and changes in technology my grandmother experienced in her 99+ years.  

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Your Best “Genealogy Find” This Week. I did some searching for patents my husband’s relatives received for their inventions.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: 
On Monday, I attended Susan’s Monday Morning group at her house and hung out with Jacqueline on Zoom. I also attended Amigos on Tuesday, the AppGen meeting on Wednesday, and the Peer group on Friday, where we discussed some of the BCG Reisinger lectures. Jacqueline and I led the first meeting of the CGS Roundtable on Wednesday evening and had five members join.

Volunteer & Own Work:
I gave two presentations this week. For the Montgomery County, Texas group, I presented about newspaper research. For the Mt. Diablo Genealogical Society, I presented about church records.

For the Adult School, I continued to work on my syllabi and PowerPoints and uploaded them to Canvas. The classes start this week.  

At the History Center, Ben and I worked on some finally moving of the books in the new library. Next, we’ll create a finding aid of all of the titles along with some subjects.

I viewed four presentations from the Texas State Genealogical Society conference that happened while I was on vacation. Fortunately for me, they were recorded for later viewing.

  • Locating the Wanderer by J. Mark Lowe
  • The Best and Neerist Way -- Invaluable Road Records by Diane L Richard
  • More Than the Three Rs: Your Ancestor's Education in the 19th & 20th Century by Ari Wilkins
  • A Roadmap to Solving Genealogical Problems with Autosomal DNA Part 1 by Patti Lee Hobbs

Other:
We had lunch with friends, Peter, Hugh, and Rosita, our first time since the start of the pandemic. It was so nice to visit with them. I was so busy this week, that I got only one walk in on Friday, though I did quite a bit of walking at the museum on Saturday.

On Saturday, I rode the train up to Sacramento with a group of members of the Coast Division, of the Pacific Coast Region (PCR) of the National Model Railroad Association (NMRA). This was a field trip for the Coast Division but members from other divisions also met us there. We had a personal tour of the new NMRA exhibit on scale model railroading, led by Charlie Getz, the former NMRA president. It was great hearing some of the inside information that is not displayed with the exhibit.

We drove up to Santa Rosa on Sunday to visit with our daughter, get some apples, and have dinner. Then the car got stuck on some rocks, the tow truck was too big, had to leave it there for the next day, and took a Lyft home because I had to teach the next day. More on this drama next week.

I am reading:
Windigo Island by William Kent Krueger

Photos for this week:

Apple buying at Walker Farm

New Amtrak Charger Locos

Ship we had to wait 20 min for

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments