Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of May 30-June 5, 2022

I have completed one hundred sixteen (116) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. After a week away from home, I remained home more. I only went to the History Center three times and spent my time there masked.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Conflict: World War I Soldiers Study I listed the names of the men from my family and my husband’s family who served during World War I, as I have created a study of the men’s service. I have not had time to work on it lately and hope to learn more about the sources in the fall with an upcoming course on WWI records.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: My New Normal Randy is still on hiatus while he is recovering from heart surgery. Linda Stufflebean posted using Pauline’s theme from her blog about answering questions about our new normal.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: The only study group I met with this week is the Geno Study group, where we finished discussing The Guarded Gate. I did meet with Jill on Monday and we had a long and interesting conversation about all things genealogy.

Client Work/Presentations:
Nothing this week, though I updated the Farming talk I’m giving this week and worked some on a cemetery talk for later this summer.

Volunteer Work:
I worked at the History Center three days this week, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, since Janet is out of town. A researcher wanted to come on Thursday to see a collection. I finished up the newspaper spreadsheet, and on Saturday, Maxine and I moved some clipping file boxes to make room for the Pleasant Hill Historical Society Collection. We now have room for growth.

I also volunteered at the Oakland FamilySearch Library and helped a women get started with the FamilySearch Family Tree. She’ll come back when she has gathered home sources.

Own Work:
I worked some on Sievert family newspaper articles and did a lot of writing about the McFall/Cornish argument. I got some images from locked films at the OFS Library.

Webinars Viewed:
Putting Down Roots: Women in Agriculture in Iowa, Dr. Jenny Barker-Devine

Other: I attended Ukulele Club on Friday and we sang from the blue book, which I don’t know many of those songs. I need to do some practicing.

I am reading:

  • The Guarded Gate by Daniel Okrent—FINISHED!
  • Manitou Canyon by William Kent Krueger—FINISHED!
  • Ghosts of Gold Mountain by Gordon H. Chang
  • The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue by Karina Yan Glaser

Photos for this week:



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments