Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Jun 12–18, 2023

I have completed one hundred seventy-one (171) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. Although we are on vacation, we are wearing our masks aboard trains, busses, and streetcars, and anywhere there are crowds or enclosed places.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Last One Standing: Reginald F Lancaster I wrote about one of my second granduncle who married but never had children. This post was highlighted by Amy Crow Johnson for last week’s 52 Ancestors challenge.

SNGF: Your Most Vivid Memory of Your Father I wrote about the work my dad did and the sports he followed, and how we interacted with him on his days off.

Genealogy
Because we are on vacation this week, I attended no meetings and did no research on my own families. I did some volunteer work, working on press releases for BCG webinars. I also watched one webinar: 

  • Finding Your Ancestral Homestead by Sheilagh Doerfler (NEHGS)

I am reading:

  • The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny—FINISHED!
  • A Noble Radiance by Donna Leon

Vacation
This past week, we finished our Special Interest Tour by riding on the East Broad Top, first on a special excursion on their line on a steam train, where we stopped several times to film run-bys. After a ride on the streetcar, we had lunch and then a tour of their shops. We returned to the hotel near Dulles Airport for our final dinner with the tour.

On Tuesday, we checked out and took a Lyft downtown so I could renew my Library of Congress reading card. We rode first class on the Acela to NYC, checked into the New Yorker for seven nights, and met up with our daughters for dinner.

Highlights of the week in New York City are:

  • Attending “A Beautiful Noise” on Broadway, a musical about the life of Neil Diamond. It was fun, especially the audience singing along with “Sweet Caroline.”
  • Taking a day trip up to Providence, Rhode Island, to tour the capitol building and walk around the city. Probably got in 15K steps.
  • Visiting Little Italy in the Bronx.
  • Touring the “Small is Beautiful” exhibit where artists displayed miniature creations of all types.
  • Hanging out with the daughters.

Photos for this week

East Broad Top train trip

Small is Beautiful exhibit

Riding the Acela to Providence

Attending A Beautiful Noise

Trying Taiwanese Tea

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Wonderful pictures!! Thanks for sharing a part of your vacation with us. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.