Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of May 29–June 11, 2023

I have completed one hundred seventy (170) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. Although we are on vacation, we are wearing our masks aboard trains, busses, and streetcars, and anywhere there are crowds or enclosed places.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

So Many Descendants: Looking at the Loveless and Lancaster Lines I used RootsMagic to figure out how many descendants there are/were from Ebenezer Loveless and Robert Lancaster. What I discovered was I had not followed all the lines down and had more research before I can fully answer that question.

SNGF: How are You Saving Family Photographs and Home Movies? I wrote about how I acquired photos from both my maternal and paternal sides and my husband’s maternal and paternal sides.

Genealogy
Because we are on vacation this week, I attended no meetings, viewed no webinars, and did no research on my own families. I did some volunteer work, working on press releases for BCG webinars.

I am reading:

  • The Dying Season by Martin Walker—FINISHED!
  • The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny

Vacation
This past week, we have been part of the Special Interest Tours trip riding on various tourist railroads in West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.

We began the tour on Tuesday, visiting the Virginia Transportation Museum in Roanoke and then the Winston Link Museum.

In West Virginia, we rode two trains at the Cass Railroad, one up to Bald Knob in open-air cars behind a shay and the next day along the Greenbrier River to Durbin.

On Friday, we rode the Tygart Valley Express from Elkin to High Falls and back.

On Saturday, we were in Cumberland and rode the Western Maryland Railroad to Frostburg, where we got off to eat lunch and then ride back. Later that evening we took the same route aboard their dinner train.

Sunday, we drove to Hollidaysburg in Pennsylvania to the Evert Railroad for a private train ride behind a steam engine. They stopped for us to get off and have photo run-bys. Then we drove to Altoona to the Railroaders Memorial Museum about how the Pennsylvania Railroad was important to the town of Altoona. It has been a fun week riding trains.

Photos for this week

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments