Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of June 3–9, 2024

I have completed two hundred and twenty-two (222) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. We arrived in New York City this week by train on Monday and I woke to Covid on Tuesday. Been stuck in the hotel room, though by Friday, feeling good, ventured outdoors, though masked. We’re leaving on Tuesday for Pittsburgh. Not much of a trip this year.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings:  
None this week.

Genealogy Writing/Research:
Being laid up, I worked on my Polly project some, though the first few days, my headache was too strong to do more than just read, and not think about writing.

Blog Post Published:

Ill Health: How to Discover the Cause of Michael J. Sullivan’s Death. For 52 Ancestors’ theme of “Health,” I wrote about how I investigated the cause of death of my great-granduncle, Michael J Sullivan, and whether treatment might have been possible.

SNGF: Write a Genealogy Poem Using AI. We were to use one of the chatbots to write a poem. I told it some of my interests and ChatGTP4 wrote a poem about me.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
I sent out the press release for the upcoming BCG-sponsored webinar.

Webinars/Courses Viewed:

  • Hiding Out in the Open: Discovering LGBT Family History by Thomas MacEntee (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • Territorial Papers of the US (1787–1912) – a Treasure Often Overlooked by Rick Sayre (NGS)
  • My Church Records Aren’t Digitized: Now What? By Katherine Schober (NGS)

Other:
My week in New York City has been spent mostly in our hotel room. Arriving on Monday evening, we had dinner with our daughter and made plans for the next day. However, I woke up with a severe headache and a runny nose I could not stop with allergy medicine. After testing, whoopee: Covid. So my husband has been spending time with our daughters while I spent time in our rooms. Luckily we got a suite and I hung out in the living room keeping the temp down low (hoping to kill germs). By Friday, I felt well and we went to the botanical garden in the Bronx, where I stayed outdoors. The sun felt so good. Saturday, we spent a little time with the girls in Bryant Park playing YamSlam! They went on to see a play and I returned to the hotel. This bout with Covid seemed short-lived but I still tested positive even when I felt good. (I’m masking!) It’s no wonder Covid won’t go away.

I am reading:

  • Destination Unknown by Agatha Christie—FINISHED!
  • Westward the Tide by Louis L’Amour

 Photos for this week. Pretty flowers from the New York Botanical Garden.






Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. So sorry that Covid got you while on vacation. Hope you are feeling much better and can enjoy the rest of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about Covid disrupting your vacation! Happy you got out to the gorgeous Botanical Gardens and are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.