Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of August 26–September 1, 2024

I have completed two hundred and thirty-three (233) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. Outside my home activities included volunteering at the History Center, running trains at the gallery in Pleasanton and the Walnut Creek club, and attending the RootsMagic SIG at the Oakland FamilySearch Center.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings:  
Monday Morning Group met on Zoom and I spoke about my trip to Texas. Jacqueline and I spoke on the phone for a bit. RootsMagic SIG was held live at the Oakland FamilySearch Center and there were at least fifteen present. I hope some decide to attend our Zoom meetings in the future. I will be leading the discussion while Keith is on vacation.

Genealogy Writing/Research:
I worked on cleaning up my download folder from past research sessions and entering data into RootsMagic. I researched some on the Davey family and wrote my 52 Ancestors post about the search for Thomas Davey’s parents.

Blog Post Published:

Common Surnames Can Cause a Mix-Up When There Are Multiple Thomas Davey Baptisms. For 52 Ancestors’ theme of “Mixed Up,” I wrote about how to work through multiple results of people with the same name. This post was highlighted in Friday’s Family History Finds.

SNGF: Which Family Members Stayed in Contact With Your Family? I wrote about my letter-writing ancestors.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
I spent the whole day at the History Center working on the Pleasant Hill Historical Society Collection. Most of the items have been placed in folders and document boxes. I want to place some of the folders in letter-sized boxes. I will count how many I need, as we usually only purchase legal-sized boxes. It is now time to work on the finding aid.

Mary, Maria, and I met to discuss the registration results for the fall term of Applied Genealogy Institute. I will be teaching about probate records. We will also have DNA and Native American classes.

The writing group met and although no one turned in any work to discuss, we had a good discussion about writing, research, and taking research trips.

Webinars/Courses Viewed:

  • Census Gap Alternatives by LaDonna Garner (Heritage Seekers Gen Club)
  • Family Tree Notebooks: A Simple Way to Get Organized by Carly Lane Morgan (Family Tree Notebooks)

Other:
The US Open started in New York City this week and I watched many matches. It was surprising to see Alcaraz, Djokovic, Gauff, and other high-ranking players be beaten. It will make the rest of the tournament interesting to see who will win.

Only a few visitors attended the San Ramon Valley Branch Line exhibit at the art gallery show, but Dave and I had interesting discussions. Two friends, Dave and Todd, came to the Friday night show at the Train Club and it was nice to visit to them after the show.

I am reading:

  • Doctored Evidence by Donna Leon—FINISHED!
  • American Fly Girl by Susan Tate Ankeny
  • Journeys of the Forgotten: The Orphans of Hamilton County, Iowa by Jill Morelli

Photos for this week. We hiked Huckleberry Preserve in the Oakland hills because it was to be a warm day. This trail is mostly in the shade.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments