Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of December 17-23, 2018

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
The long, almost three month wait is over. I heard on the 22nd of December from the Board for Certification of Genealogists that I have become a Certified Genealogist®. It was the best Christmas present this year. I’ve written all about the certification process here.

I was ill with the flu part of the week and so did not work on genealogy much. I continued working on my own family research by the continuation of the Johnston line.

Blog Writing: I wrote the following blog posts this week:
  • Week 51: 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks about Muriel Gleeson putting together a photo album for the Gleeson & Tierney families for the theme of Nice.

Cert Peer Group: Again we had five of us getting caught up on what we’d been doing this past week. We also discussed the chapter in the new ProGen book on Crafting Family Histories. We all wished there had been more substantive examples in this chapter, especially for further reading.

Webinars: I attended the following webinars:
  • Melissa Barker: “Disaster Planning for the Genealogist: Safeguarding Your Genealogical Records”
  • Nancy Peters: “Proving Identity and Kinship Using the GPS: Finding a Freedman's Family”
  • Michael Strauss: “That Splendid Little War: Researching Your Spanish American War Ancestors”

Other Activities

Christmas party with my German classmates at our instructor, Nancy Grabow’s house. We had potluck and then spent nearly two hours speaking German with two native Germans! It was great fun. I brought two dishes: Rouladen and cooked purple cabbage, so Terry would have a vegetarian dish to eat.


I was supposed to attend two other parties, one with the Friends of Alhambra Creek at Jane’s house and the other at the Oakland Family History Center, but I was sick with the flu. I am sorry to have missed both. I had enough energy by Friday to work my desk duty day at the California Genealogical Society’s library, however no one came in.

Sunday, Elaine and I, along with Jamie and her father, took in the performance at Armando’s in Martinez by the Lowell Ensemble. The four musicians played piano, flute, cello, and oboe. I volunteered to play bells during Sleigh Ride. What fun! It was a lovely time listening to classical and Christmas music with other like-minded people.



Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments