Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of June 17-23, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Education
I taught the fourth class of  the 5-class session on Intermediate Skills for the California Genealogical Society, being held at the Oakland FamilySearch Library on Wednesday evenings. I covered religious records. There is only one more class left.

Blog Writing:

Webinars/Study Groups Attended: 
I didn’t view any webinars this week, though I participated in the NGSQ study group on Tuesday morning. I also participated in the Thursday evening Cert group chat.

Volunteer Work:
I worked at the History Center, mostly culling out non-area historical clippings from the Contra Costa Times clipping files. We also worked on the mailing of the Appeal by stuffing envelopes.  

I worked with Shirley doing our weekly phenology survey at the Meadow.

On Friday, I worked the desk at the California Genealogical Society’s library. It was a busy day with over ten visitors coming in. I was so busy, I missed the chat with my Friday cert group.

This was also the week of meetings. On Tuesday, the 2021 NMRA Host Committee had a meeting in Walnut Creek and I took the minutes as secretary. On Wednesday, the APG Writers SIG had a meeting and I also took the minutes. And finally, the Contra Costa County Historical Society board had a meeting on Thursday, and as secretary, I also took the minutes. There is a theme here. I am secretary to four different organizations!

Own Work:
This week, I worked on processing files in my download folder. Of course, as I enter the data into RootsMagic, I want to find additional information and I do a little more research at Ancestry or Newspaper.com or FamilySearch. This week I was working on Lancaster, Lundquist, and Gorrell families. Usually the research is sparked by the blog posts I want to write. So much more has been put online.

Other:
My niece graduated this month from University of California at Santa Cruz and we celebrated on Sunday by having a get-together at a local park. It was very nice seeing everyone.


I had an interview and was hired to teach genealogy classes at the Acalanes Adult School starting this fall. I’m very excited about this new chapter in my life. I’ll create three courses that will be four weeks in length each and I’ll teach one each quarter fall through spring.



Meadow shots: apricots, mustard, snowberry



Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments