Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Your School Graduations

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

 It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):

1)  Most of us graduated from elementary school, junior high school, high school, and perhaps college.

2)  What schools did you graduate from (and when, if you dare!) - and do you have a photograph?

3)  Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment on this post, or in a Facebook post.

I attended Pittsburg (California) Primary School for Kindergarten. I don’t remember whether there was some kind of graduation or promotion ceremony.

Next I attended St. Peter Martyr School in Pittsburg until the middle of third grade. We moved to Walnut Creek and I attended Parkmead Elementary School until sixth grade. I don’t think there was any ceremony.

I did graduate from Parkmead Intermediate School, from the 8th grade, June 12, 1968.[1] I think this photo is of me for that day, though I think this is the dress I made in home ec. This other shot could also be the one. My grandmother supposedly made my dress.[2] I was the page-turner for the pianist, Deborah Anne Latter, while the class sang “Battle Hymn of the Republic.” At one point, she elbowed me because I was late turning the page. I was admiring the wonderful job the class was singing. My grandfather noticed and gave me a hard time about it later.



My high school, Las Lomas, had graduation on June 14, 1972.[3] I have no photo from that day, but here is my senior class photo. Somewhere in my stuff, I have a photo taken of the whole class standing outside the school. I need to search for that.

Las Lomas - 1972


I graduated from California State University, Hayward on June 11, 1977.[4] I was awarded a Bachelor’s of Science in Biological Sciences. My photo was in the yearbook, paid for by the man I was working for, Mr. Braeme Gigas.

CSUH - 1977
I also attended Diablo Valley College over the years taking a variety of classes for fun. I attended Cal State Hayward again, obtaining a Teaching Credential in 1992.



[1] Graduation Program, 12 June 1968, Parkmead Intermediate School, Walnut Creek, California.
[2] I have the thank you note I wrote to my grandmother thanking her for making my dress.
[3] Graduation Program, 14 Jun 1972, Las Lomas High School, Walnut Creek, California.
[4] Graduation Program, 11 Jun 1977, California State University, Hayward, California.

Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I love your hair in your high school photo! It is so long and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.