Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of June 3-9, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Education
I taught the second class of  the 5-class session on Intermediate Skills for the California Genealogical Society, being held at the Oakland FamilySearch Library on Wednesday evenings. I covered probate records. I got an email from one of my students saying she finally found the land record for her ancestor on FamilySearch. She was so happy to learn how to use the online catalog.

Blog Writing:
  • 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks For week 23, the theme was “namesake” and I wrote about all the ancestors who had the name “Elizabeth” or “Margaret” the names of my two daughters.
  • Saturday Night Genealogy Fun I wrote several tweets about my husband’s ancestors.

Webinars/Study Groups Attended: 
I didn’t watch any webinars last week, but I have several streamed classes from Jamboree to still watch. Hope to do that this week or next.

Volunteer Work:
I worked a long shift at the History Center, working on a variety of items.

Own Work:
For research, I found the newspapers of Stanton, Iowa, online (Stanton Call and Stanton Zephyr) and found several good articles about the Lundquist family. One especially was about Per Alfred Lundquist visiting California before their move and he even saw a bit of the Swedish exhibit at the Pan Pacific Exposition being built. The obituaries of the Lundquists who moved to Hilmar were longer and more detailed in the Stanton paper than in the Turlock paper.

One newspaper article mentioned a cousin of Matilda Lundquist (Swan Nordquist) and I have spent several hours researching him in census, vital records, and church records. He lived in Red Oak, Montgomery Co, Iowa.

Other Activities:
The biggest event of the week was our five-day trip to Los Angeles, traveling on Amtrak’s San Joaquin. We stayed at the Miyako Hotel in Little Tokyo which was a very nice place. We walked everywhere or took the subway. We visited The Last Bookstore, Angel's Flight, Grand Central Market, and the lobby of the Bradbury Building.

One Friday night, we had dinner with Norman’s cousins, Erik and Melissa at a downtown LA restaurant, and on Saturday, spent the day with our daughter, Margaret, visiting Universal Studios in Hollywood. We spent most of the day in the Harry Potter section and then took the studio tour at the end of the day. We had lots of fun. 

On Sunday, after dinner with Norman's brother and wife, we all attended the play, "meg jo beth amy and louisa," in which our daughter plays Amy.  They are performing at the Hollywood Fringe. This was our fourth time seeing it but we still enjoyed it very much.




Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments