Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of Oct 28-Nov 3, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:

Webinars/Study Groups Attended:  I was a little under the weather, so I spent most of the week at home resting.
I attended part of the Virtual Genealogical Association’s 2019 Conference. On Friday, I viewed:
  • “Identifying Your DNA Matches’ Secret Identity” by Blaine Bettinger
  • “Preserving the Past: Archiving & Digitizing Your Family Keepsakes,” by Denise May Levenick
  • “Incorporating Oral History into Your Research” by Ari Wilkins

On Sunday, I viewed:
  • “Eastern European Ancestry in Galicia and Bukovina” by Michelle Tucker Chubenko
  • “Writing and Telling Your Story” by Bernice Bennett

I will have to watch the rest when the links come out in a week.

There was no Thursday evening  online study group due to Halloween activities. On Friday, only Dennis and I were online and we had a nice conversation about our activities.

On Saturday, I picked up Jacqueline and drove us to Menlo Park to attend the San Mateo County Genealogical Society’s seminar where Judy G. Russell, CG spoke about the law, ethics, and the GPS. It was a fun day, and I was glad to have a blanket in the car to keep us warm in the chapel.


I viewed some catch up webinars at Legacy Family Tree Webinars:
  • “Privacy: How to Protect Your Information Online” by Judy G. Russell, CG

And the webinar from the APG Virtual Chapter:
  • “Using Historical Context” by Melissa Johnson, CG

Client Work:
No client work this week.

Volunteer Work:
At the History Center this week, I worked on one of the back-logged collections that needed to be foldered. That is done, and now I need to write up the finding aid, add it to PastPerfect, and then put the box in the Special Collections room. I also learned how to open the Center on Tuesdays until Priscilla is back to work.

Own Work:
This week I worked some on the Thomas Davey family in order to create a blog post for next week. I sure wish I could find the marriage record for Fred H Davey to Julia Wollenweber.

I also worked on cleaning up some files on my computer beginning with the COOR family files for the Barnes family and continuing with the LANCASTER family newspaper articles from Tulare Advance-Register which I had found previously on Newspaper.com. It was great to add them to Rootsmagic and file them into their folders. Of course, reading articles spark the need to do some more research and I found some vital record indexes on Ancestry to fill in some facts.

I also had images of photos and documents from our visits with Norman’s cousins over the last year. Taking care of them was needed.

Other:
Had fun this week with our daughter, Elizabeth.She came to stay with us for four days due to being evacuated because of the Kincaid fire. We played Yamslam! and Farkle, and had dinner on Tuesday night at Roxx’s on the Main.


Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments