Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Aug 28–Sep 3, 2023

I have completed one hundred eighty-two (182) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. It was a quiet week: I left the house for three trips to the History Center and for phenology.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings
The monthly CCCGS round table was Monday and we had good discussions. A group is planning a trip to the FSL in February. Later that day, Jacqueline and I zoomed in and she approved of the improvement in the quality of my sound.

Genealogy Writing
This week, I finished the first draft of the presentation for the Main Genealogical Society. I will review it and record myself presenting it to see what changes I might need to make. I finished the railroad travel article for CCCGS Diablo Descendants and turned it in. I also finished my methodology column for the CGS Nugget. Once the articles were finished, I went back to working on my BCG renewal. Will it be a KDP or a research report? Playing with both possibilities.

Blog Posts:

Disaster: Arnold Nilsen, the CCC, & the 1937 Yosemite Flood. For Week 35, I wrote about my husband’s Uncle Arnold when he was in the CCC.

SNGF: Elusive Ancestor Research (Sullivan, Sheehan & Raduntz). These are some end-of-the-line families that I may never locate their parents.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
I went to the History Center three times this week. On Tuesday, our director brought a volunteer to help with the library inventory. After I had to take care of some research queries, Marcello helped me with the computer while I worked with the books. On Friday, John and I spent the whole day on the inventory. On Saturday, I spent a few hours continuing the inventory on my own. Maxine and I also discussed some useful supplies to help with the labeling of the library shelves.   

Saturday, I hosted the CGS Intro to Genealogy class while Jennifer gave the presentation.

Webinars Viewed:

  • Connecting Generations through Probate and Property by Teri E Flack (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • Six Free Websites Every Ontario Genealogist Needs            by Janice Nickerson (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)

Other:
There were no hikes this week due to the warm temperature. I spent most of my free time sitting in front of the television watching the US Open games. Though I wasn’t entirely watching—I worked on the computer, too, getting stuff done. There is one more week—yeah! Giants’ games this week were disappointing again.

Our tomato crop has been abundant and some of the individual tomatoes are really huge. I made sauce twice this week to eat with pasta.

I am reading:

  • How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny

 Photos for this week.

Purple Cherokee, 2 pounds, 2 3/4 ounces



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I have been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. That tomato is a beauty! I believe "How the Light Gets In" shows the author's skill at understanding and conveying the wide range of human motivations and relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is different, for sure and I think you've hit the theme.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.