Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Sep 18–24, 2023

I have completed one hundred eighty-five (185) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. This week I went to the History Center and then we left for NYC on Jet Blue, wearing our masks. Masks on the subway but we ate indoors most of the time because it rained on the weekend.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings
None this week.

Genealogy Writing
Besides working on my renewal, I started on a new presentation on using probate records. I’m doing a presentation for the Seattle Genealogical Society in November.

Blog Posts:

Adversity: Single Mothers Raising Their Families. For Week 38, I wrote about three generation of Hork wives who had to raise their family alone. This post was highlighted in Amy Crow Johnson’s 52 Ancestors email.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
John helped me with the inventory of the library materials. We are almost finished but have a few books we cannot locate that had been entered previously.  

AppGen meeting went over the proposals for the upcoming Spring session and we made some decisions about who would teach. I asked to take a session off, as I have taught in all five sessions.

I gave my farm talk to the Fiske Library in Seattle on Wednesday and they seemed to like it. And on Tuesday, I got some criminal court records for a client request. It was my first time going down to the criminal court office. I usually get civil or probate records.

Webinars Viewed:

  • Follow the Trail of Records and DNA from Ireland to Oregon (1810-1860) by Karen Stanbury (BCG/LFTWebinars)
  • Blogging For Clients by Cheri Hudson Passey (APG Writers SIG)

I also attended the Family History Academy course “Citing DNA-Related Sources in Genealogical Writing” by Tom Jones. I will miss the second session and will watch the recording.

Other:
No hike this week due to the poor air quality from fires in Northern California and Oregon, as the smoke has moved south. Hopefully, it will rain soon and put out the fires.

We left for New York City on Thursday, taking BART to SFO. The flight had some turbulence but not too bad. I enjoyed the one movie I watched called “Are You There, God? It’s me, Margaret.” 

We took the subway up to our daughter’s apartment to deliver the tomatoes and peppers we brought. She took us to an Italian restaurant for lunch. Sunday, we watched her performance in the play “The Great Gatsby” at the Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum in the Bronx. It was an immersive play and we followed the actors from scene to scene. 

It has been raining, so I have taken no photos except those on the first evening of the Empire State Building. We've eaten Italian, Korean, and Japanese food so far.

I am reading:

  • Good Night Irene by Luis Alberto Urrea—Sent back to library because of our trip
  • A Sea of Troubles by Donna Leon

Photos for this week.

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I have been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Have fun on your visit. I missed your SNGF post this week and figured you might be traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hadn't done any research, so nothing to write about.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.