Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of Oct 14-20, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:

Webinars/Study Groups Attended: 
  • NGS Quarterly Study Group where we discussed George L. Findlen’s article
  • “It’s a Numbers Game! Understanding Genealogical Formats” by Alice Hoyt Veen, CG for the APG Writers SIG

I attended the Monday Morning Group of the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society and showed examples of the records I photographed at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis during my summer vacation.

I also attended my Thursday evening  online study group, and Kim and I had a very engaging conversation.

Client Work:
No client work this week.

Volunteer Work:
At the History Center this week, I worked on the newspaper finding aid, checking against the microfilm that was donated.  A request was made to do a search in the Village Pioneer and we have that on microfilm. Also on Saturday, we were trained on using the new digital scanner/viewer. I taught the salesman a new trick! These are the same machines found at Family History Centers. Thursday night was our Board Meeting and I took minutes.

Own Work:
I researched more about the passports I wrote about in the 52 Ancestors meme this week. The originals are located at the Georgia Archives in Morrow, Georgia, which is south of Atlanta.  I also did some deed research on the Coor family in Sampson County, North Carolina records at FamilySearch. These are all freely available online from home. One of the later deeds gave great information about the children of Daniel Coor and their present locations! I’ll be writing about that soon.

I taught the third Acalanes Adult School class on genealogy this week. I finished the lesson on research trips, and then began the lesson on tips for solving tough problems. We had just fifteen minutes to do the group exercise but I think they enjoyed it. Next week will be the last session.

Other:
I attended my first Coast Division board of operations meeting as their rep to the Pacific Coast Region board of directors. There will be a PCR board meeting this coming Saturday.

On Sunday, Norman and I visited our daughter, Elizabeth, in Sebastopol. We stopped at the Hale Ranch and Walker Ranch for apples. Norman plans to make more fermented applesauce.  The fall color was beautiful and I took some photos of vineyards. We walked around the park at the laguna and then drove to Santa Rosa where we ate dinner at the French restaurant, Walter Hansel Wine & Bistro. The place is cute and the food delicious.








Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments