Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Nov 23-29, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed thirty-seven (37) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I did phenology with Shirley at the meadow as usual. I went to the bird store for bird food. We went to our daughter’s for Thanksgiving. We went on two walks to the mailbox.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Blogs posted this past week:

Online Study Groups Attended: 
I attended Monday Morning on Monday, as well as meeting with Jacqueline in the afternoon. Three of the Amigos met on Wednesday. The rest of the week was the Thanksgiving holiday.

Webinars Attended:

  • “Curate Your Genealogy Collection” by Marian Wood
  • “Understanding & Correlating WWI Records” by KB Barcomb. This was a second viewing, where I took notes.

Client Work/Presentations:
No client work or presentations.

Volunteer Work:
No volunteer work this week. The History Center is closed for the rest of the year due to Covid case increases in California. 

Own Work:
I worked on the estate papers for both Jemima Coor who died in 1839 and John Coor who died in 1838 in Copiah County, Mississippi. The same administrator, George M. Barnes, did both estates and their papers were in the same file. I wrote a blog post about the sale of Jemima’s slaves to family members. I need to do the same for John’s slaves.

I also started working on John E. Lundquist’s military records, first starting with a timeline of what I know. I found a really cool photo of the returning units taken in San Francisco. They were all lined up in front of the Palace of Fine Arts. I don’t know if John was there, but the program was in his papers. He just wasn’t listed in the program.

Other:
The only class this week was German with Nancy on Monday.

Thanksgiving was spent with Elizabeth and Tye in Santa Rosa. Just the four of us had rotisserie turkey, roasted root vegetables and bok choy, mashed potatoes and gravy, and pie. We played Hearts after dinner. It was a lovely time.

Photos of the week:





Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments