Skip to main content

Looking Ahead to 2023


Before looking ahead at my genealogy goals for 2023, I would like to look back at the goals I had for 2022. Did I accomplish what I wanted to?

2022 Goals
I had three goals:

  • Finish going through family files to scan, file, or discard
  • Write more
  • Create 2-3 new presentations for genealogy societies

I did not finish going through the family files. I somehow forgot I was working on that. I did manage to go through two file boxes, but I have four more. I scanned the papers I didn’t need anymore using the copy machine at the Family History Center and then recycled the paper.

I did write more. Up to this post, I have written 165 blog posts across both of my blogs, though it is only one more than in 2021. I wrote all 52 posts for Amy Johnson Crow’s #52Ancestors. I wrote two articles for the California Genealogical Society’s Nugget. I have an article to be published in the next issue of Der Blumenbaum, the publication of the Sacramento German Genealogy Society. I did not write many ancestor bios, though I have started thinking about a writing couple of 2-3 generation genealogies.

I created a new presentation on researching school records that I presented to a genealogy society, but all other presentations I created were for my two Applied Genealogy Institute courses, Foundations I and II, a total of sixteen lessons, eight for each course. These are a lot more work than an hour presentation to a genealogical society.

2023 Goals
I shall make 3 goals again:

  • Create new presentations for societies
  • Write research reports and/or proof summaries for my mother’s side of the family
  • Choose one family to write a KDP genealogy

My main goal for this year is to produce 1-2 work samples to use for my BCG certification portfolio, which is due in December (though I need to turn it in a couple of months sooner so there is time for judging). The weaknesses in my previous portfolio were the research report and my citations. I have worked hard on improving my citations and making them consistent. Writing more research reports and proof summaries for my mother’s southern family will be challenging but may give me something useful for my portfolio. I shall also choose one of those family lines to write a KDP genealogy. Too bad they all had so many children!

I have some ideas for case study presentations and will work on those this year. I find them more challenging than teaching about record types. I have a Civil War soldier and a World War I study of some California soldiers that I think will make good case studies. It’s been fun presenting to societies from all over the country and I hope I can do more in 2023.

What are your goals for 2023? Be sure to write them down so you don’t forget to do them.


#52Ancestors-Week 52: Looking Ahead to 2023

This is my fifth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Your goal of curating files to scan/discard is so good, I'll have to do it...because there are too many scribbled pieces of paper with notes that I can add to my trees and then recycle. TY for the reminder! I'll add to my 2023 goals. Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It was nice to consolidate all those notes and emails I'd printed out, and finally discard all the census records.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.