Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Dec 19–25, 2022

I have completed one hundred forty-six (146) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I took a few walks, went to phenology, and volunteered at the Oakland Family History Center. It was a quiet week.

Genealogy

Blog WritingThis week’s 52 Ancestors blog highlighted my previous post about Christmas pajamas.

Perseverance: Matilda Pearl “Tillie” Davey. I wrote how even though Tillie had a tough childhood, she turned out fine.

I have two blogs. This one, I write about ¾ of my family and all my husband’s family. On Mam-ma’s Southern Family, I write about my maternal grandmother’s family. I don’t write there much as it amounts to only 1/8 of my children’s ancestry. I posted Christmas greetings to both:

Merry Christmas! I posted a German postcard from my collection. Fröhliche Weihnachten!

Merry Christmas! I posted a photo of my Mam-ma and Tom-Tom in 1972, the last Christmas we had Tom-Tom.

Meetings/Discussion Groups. The only meeting I had this week was with Jacqueline on Monday.

Volunteer. I volunteered at the Oakland FamilySearch Library on Wednesday. There were more volunteers than researchers, so I did a bit of research for myself.

Client Work. I did a marriage certificate pull for my regular client on Tuesday and he has sent another request to do in this coming week.

Own Work. I worked on genealogy at the OFSL as well as at home. I have found lots of newspaper articles about Margaret Lancaster and her husband, Arthur N. Pauff. They lived in Phoenix, Imperial, California (near San Diego), and Las Vegas, Nevada. I plan to write a blog post about his death right before Christmas.

Webinars Viewed: I watched three webinars, one live and two pre-recorded.

  • Wayward Girls: A Context Case Study by Stephanie S. O'Connell (BCG/LFTWebinars)
  • Deconstructing a Conflicted Census Enumeration: Carrie Peterson aka Clara Moore by Jay Fonkert (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • 1850-1900 US Federal Census Secrets Revealed by Amie Bowser Tennant (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)

I am reading

  • Water Always Wins: Thriving in Age of Drought and Deluge by Erica Gies
  • A Song of Comfortable Chairs by Alexander McCall Smith—FINISHED!
  • Home Sweet Christmas by Susan Mallery


Other:
I attended the Friends of Alhambra Creek meeting this week and the main discussion was the mural to be painted on the freeway overpass walls along Alhambra Way. I hope that several species of birds will be included.

I took a few walks this week. Each morning it has been foggy which made for some nice photos at the beginning of the Mt. Wanda hike and I have included photos this week.

Christmas was quiet this year. We Zoomed with our daughters, who were in NYC and Phoenix. I loved the French Toast my husband had for breakfast with the leftover egg nog.

Photos for this week:





Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

 


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments