Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Dec 5–11, 2022

I have completed one hundred forty-four (144) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I was better this week but I still didn’t take any walks. I did phenology and attended an operating session at a friend’s model railroad layout. Otherwise, I watched World Cup matches.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

New Horizons: Going off to College—Freshman Year. I wrote my own history, my freshman year at Cal State Hayward.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Linda’s “December Genea-Meme” We were to answer twenty questions about Genea-Christmas.

Meetings/Discussion Groups
I met with Jacqueline and the SLIG writing group on Monday, my cert mentee and the Der Blumenbaum editorial team on Wednesday, and book club on Sunday.  

Volunteer
I volunteered at the History Center on Tuesday and Thursday. I worked on editing the photos in PastPerfect and labeling the shelves in the library. The larger labels will make it easier to find the books. There was a nice box of See’s Candy there to munch on.

I volunteered at the Oakland FamilySearch Library but being December, we had few patrons. I worked on my own projects. I did learn we have a new fast scanner for slides. I'll make plans over the holidays to do some scanning.

I am now the press release coordinator for BCG and put out two press releases this past week.

Client Work
I had no work to do this week.

Own Work
This week I worked on my Civil War soldier, Andreas Ptoftenhauer. His Civil War personnel record, as well as his wife’s minor children’s pension record, can be found on Fold3. I also found some probate, deed, and church records for him and his family. My plan is to write up a biography and create a presentation on some of the information, especially on the records of the Civil War.

Webinars Viewed:

  • Trendy Tech Tools for Your Research: Yay or Nay? by Cyndi Ingle (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)

I am reading:

  • Water Always Wins: Thriving in an Ae of Drought and Deluge by Erica Gies
  • A Song of Comfortable Chairs by Alexander McCall Smith

Other:
I watched the World Cup games quarter-final games this week. The semi-final games will be during times I have other plans. The games have been very exciting.

The model railroad ops session was fun and working with Richard was enjoyable. Tony has a nice small layout but with enough work for four people to do.

The jury duty last week was a bust. I checked in and they immediately dismissed me, saying they had enough jurors for the day.

Photos for this week: The rest of the crew at the operating session and shots of the campus at the Oakland Temple.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I watched Cyndi Ingle's webinar, too. She made a lot of good points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially the points that everyone's brains think differently and tools work for some and not for others. I never could get my head around Evernote but liked OneNote better. Now I just use Word and Excel as my tools.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.