Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of March 6–12, 2023

I have completed one hundred fifty-seven (157) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. My outside activities included working at the History Center, doing phenology, attending the train club meeting, and attending a concert by Lowell Ensemble.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Translation - A Will Recorded in Jefferson County, Kentucky Agnes Marie Vohringer’s will was transcribed in German but also translated!

SNGF: 100 Word Genealogy Challenge - An Ancestor I'd Like to Meet I would like to know why my 3-x great-grandfather, George W. Lancaster was divorced from his wife, Martha Jane.

Women’s History Month posts:

Aunt Virginia Worked at Mare Island Navy Yard during WWII The personnel file from NARA St. Louis gives details about her work at the Naval base on Mare Island.

Cousin Carrie: An Unmarried Woman Traveled Often. Newspaper articles tell of Carrrie’s travels.

Thelma Begins Her Household -- Wedding Gifts. Her bridal book had pages of the gifts she received and when she wrote the thank you notes

Meetings/Discussion Groups
Jacqueline and I met on Monday and discussed preparation for a possible Texas research trip in August (yeah, we know, it will be hot!). We held the Roundtable meeting on Wednesday. Amigos met also and Stewart and I ended up talking about the new RootsMagic 9 program. I have it, buying it during RootsTech at half price, but I haven’t installed it yet. I might do that after I get my writing done.

Volunteer

  • This week I did my stint at the History Center, taking care of both the library database and putting away some donated items. A subcommittee met to discuss how we will hire a new executive director.
  • I created the BCG webinar press release for review and then sent it out to the first round of recipients. Next is to post at various mailing lists.
  • I co-hosted the CGS webinar on Saturday while Pam Vestal gave her presentation. I started the recording a little late. Need to put a sticker on the screen to remind me!

Client Work

  • This week, I continued working on the curriculum for my AppGen class and am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
  • I gave a presentation on Focused Research: Using Research Plans for the Genealogy Society of Washington County, which is located in Oregon but I was on Zoom.
  • A researcher contacted me for a consultation and I advised her on her next steps.
  • Lastly, the writing group met via zoom and we discussed on member’s new introduction and some tips Jacqueline and learned from the Word class.

Own Work
I did a little research this week to support some of the Women’s History Month blog posts, but was too busy to keep up with daily posts. I discovered that my husband’s aunt was married three times, two more than I had in my database.

However, I did submit two articles to publications: my column for the CGS Nugget and my column for the CCCGS Descendants.

Webinars Viewed.

  • Written in Stone: In Depth Study of a Gravestone by Gena Philibert-Ortega (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • Master Class - Word Paragraphs Part 2 by Tom Jones, CG (Family History Academy)
  • Why They Left, Where They Went, and What Their Journeys Can Reveal by Pam Vestal (CGS)
  • In Introduction to Using WordPress to Build a Blog or Website by Elizabeth Swanay O'Neal (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)

I am reading: Not much time to read this week.

  • Gateway to Victory: The Wartime Story of the San Francisco Army Port of Embarkation by Captain James W. Hamilton
  • Wise Gals: The Spies Who Built the CIA and Changed the Future of Espionage by Nathalia Holt


Other
I walked around Lafayette Reservoir with the hiking group on Wednesday and attended a wonderful benefit concert for the John Muir Land Trust performed by the Lowell Ensemble. They a string quartet along with the keyboard, oboe, and tuba players. The Maple Leaf Rag was the best! Always wonderful to hear them and support a great organization.

Photos for this week



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments