Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of February 27–March 05, 2023

I have completed one hundred fifty-six (156) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I spent the week in Salt Lake City at RootsTech and the FamilySearch Library.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Gone Too Soon: Nell Hutson Johnston Dead at 31 Years. For week 9 of the 52 Ancestors, I wrote about my great-grandmother who died in 1919 at a very young age.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Your Best RootsTech 2023 Experience. I wrote about my experience attending RootsTech in person.

I wrote several extra posts this week as I am attempting to write about a woman family member each day for Women’s History Month. I will attempt to a post each day.

My Mother Loved Crafts

Nana Was the Fun Grandmother

My Grandma was a Seamstress

Lorene was a World Traveler and I have Letters to Document it

Aunt June’s High School Activities Documented by Newspapers

Meetings/Discussion Groups
Because of my trip to Salt Lake City, I did not attend many meetings. Monday was busy. I started the Monday Morning Meeting but had poor internet and made Susan host. I met with Linda at Starbucks to pass along some Shutterfly photobooks I made that she can share with her Japanese genealogy class.

Volunteer
I taught the Intro to Genealogy: Vital Records from my hotel room in Salt Lake City. It was different not having a second monitor and my speaker notes, but I pulled it off.

I worked the BCG Booth at RootsTech on Thursday with Matt and Friday with Judy. Lots of people stopped by asking about how to become certified or to look at portfolios.

Client Work
The AppGen meeting went well on Monday even without Mary and Jill will send out a new schedule and link for future meetings. The call for proposals is open.

I taught my last adult school class on using online websites. Hopefully, some will take my beginning class next quarter.

Own Work
I did lots of work in the FamilySearch Library in Salt Lake City. I looked at books about Carleton County, Ontario, Canada for background information. I did quite a bit of research in Prince Edward County, Virginia, locating marriage bonds, tax records, probate records, and deed records. I did some searching in Goochland County, too. Lastly, I attempted to find information for a friend in Lee County, Iowa but pretty much struck out. What I loved best about the library were the three monitors on the desk. I am thinking of doing that at home, too!

Webinars Viewed.
I attended the first session of Module 2 of the Advanced Genealogical Writing Skills Using Microsoft Word Masterclass with Tom Jones from our hotel room on Friday. I did not attend any classes at RootsTech, but only worked the BCG booth.

I am reading:

  • Gateway to Victory: The Wartime Story of the San Francisco Army Port of Embarkation by Captain James W. Hamilton
  • Wise Gals: The Spies Who Built the CIA and Changed the Future of Espionage by Nathalia Holt

Other
I took my first trip on an airplane this week and wore a mask in the airport and on the plane. Both flights were uneventful – I occupied my time with a jigsaw puzzle game on my iPad. Our return flight was super early (we got up at 3:45 am) but we left late (had to de-ice the plane) and the bags did not come for a long time, making me miss my Amtrak train. Luckily Jacqueline and Barry drove me home (after I treated them to breakfast).

It was very nice seeing people at RootsTech, especially in the exhibit hall, and getting a chance to do some hugging. Photos this week are from my trip.

Photos for this week






Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments