Skip to main content

Translation – A Will Recorded in Jefferson County, Kentucky

To my surprise, the will of Maria Agnes Vohringer was transcribed into the Jefferson County, Kentucky probate minute book in German, just as she had written it (or her attorney).[1] It is even written in old German handwriting. The witnesses were C.C. Godshaw, L.Koellner, and T.L. Bloch, who all must have spoken German. Oh, wow, I was going to need to write it out in modern letters first and then translate it.

Luckily, on the opposite page was the English translation! 

At the bottom of the translation was written “Jos. J. Schene states that he is acquainted with the German and English language and that the foregoing translation made by him from the German to the English language of the last will and testament of Maria Agnes Vohringer, deceased, is a true and correct translation of said will as he verily believes." Thank goodness for Mr. Schene. I’m sure the deputy clerk M.G. Stewart was thankful, too!

#52Ancestors: Translation

This is my sixth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.


[1] Will of Maria Agnes Vohringer, 1897, Jefferson County, Kentucky, probate, vol. 22, p. 316, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GPQ9-FYT : accessed 9 Mar 2023), film 004819931, im. 167-69.


Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.