Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Nov 20–26, 2023

I have completed one hundred ninety-four (194) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. Had a scare about Covid and was exposed on Sunday, so I stayed home Monday through Wednesday, skipping the History Center and Wednesday Walkers to keep everyone safe, although I never tested positive.  

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings
No meetings this week.

Genealogy Writing/Research
I spent time working on my portfolio renewal for BCG. My research report is finished but I am still making some last-minute adjustments to the output. I hope to turn it in by the beginning of December.

I did spend some time in the new interface at Chronicling America and searched for newspapers about the Colmann family in California during and after the gold rush. I found a couple of newspapers that covered the gold country and saved the many articles to my computer. Ida Hork married Martin J. Colmann. I found the birth announcement for Martin, and many articles about Colmann and Gebhardt families. Martin’s mother was a Gebhardt. Someday, I’d like to discover where in Germany they are from.

Blog Posts:

Beda Charlotta & Gustaf Albert Nilsson: The Two That Stayed Home. For week 47, I wrote about the siblings who did not emigrate to the U.S. with the other Nilsen family.

SNGF: Memories of theDecade of Your Choice “The 80s” I wrote about the 1980s when I married, traveled, and finally had my first child.

Happy Thanksgiving. I shared one of my postcards.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
Thanksgiving week is usually quiet and I only worked on things at home. No volunteer or paid work this week.

Webinars/Courses Viewed:

  • Meeting Standards With 21st Century Research Reports by Melissa A Johnson (APG)
  • Why Standards Are for Everyone by LaBrenda Garrett-Nelson (BCG/Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • Empowering Genealogists with Artificial Intelligence (part IV - Translation) by Steve Little (NGS)

Other: No hike this week due to my exposure to Covid and deciding to keep it safe. We did go up to our daughter’s home for Thanksgiving, where we supplied the turkey and potatoes and she provided the sweet potatoes, squash, broccolini, and pumpkin pie. Her boyfriend made a beautiful charcuterie board with yummy sheep milk cheese, salami, olives, and honeycomb. After dinner, we played Farkle, while listening to Christmas music LPs I brought, and we got home way after midnight.

The rest of the weekend was spent at the Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society’s weekend holiday show, where I ran trains on Friday and Saturday, and did track walking from setup on Sunday. That involved lots of crawling on my knees under the layout and I got a few bumps on my head when I lifted it too soon.

I am reading:

  • Lincoln & California by Brian McGinty
  • Skirts by Kimberly Chrisman-Campbell

Photos for this week. Sharing photos of our Thanksgiving and the Train Club layout from the operating cab.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I have been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.