Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Nov 5–12, 2023

I have completed one hundred ninety-two (192) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. Outside activities involved having a hygienist appointment, volunteering at the History Center, and attending a Train Club meeting.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings
This week I met with Jacqueline and she showed me photos of a house in Oregon. I met with Ron to discuss future beginning, intermediate, and advanced classes taught at CGS. Wednesday, only Jacqueline and I were at Amigos, and we both hosted the CGS Roundtable. Two new members were very talkative and we had lively discussions. Sunday, I met with Jill and discussed our homework for the BCG Education Fund research report class we are taking.

Genealogy Writing/Research
I have not worked on my portfolio writing and only wrote blog posts this past week. I would say the writing of a research report as homework for the BCG Education Fund class would count.

Ancestry has a new feature where they have indexed names from newspaper articles found on their other site, Newspapers.com. They are organized by state and I spent time searching for Hork family members in California newspapers. I found a cool article about my grandfather being asked to play baseball while in the service in 1918. The next step is to either add these articles to events in RootsMagic or write some stories using the information as sources.

Blog Posts:

Ernest Ferdinand Served in Two World Wars. For week 45, I wrote about my husband’s great-uncle, who served in the Navy during both world wars.

SNGF: A Photo of You With a Grandparent. I have a photo of both grandmothers with me as an infant.

Cyril W. Hork Signed up to Play Baseball at the Naval Training Station in San Diego. I found an article that he signed up to play baseball at the Naval Training camp in San Diego.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
I worked a half day on Tuesday and John and I spent part of the afternoon searching for missing books in the inventory database. We then started sorting the extra books into boxes alphabetically. These we will inventory and let our members know of the book they can buy.

I presented a talk on brick walls to the Roots Cellar group in Sacramento and a new talk on probate records to the Seattle Genealogical Society for their 100th anniversary seminar.

Our third class in the AppGen land course went well on Thursday. I spent most of Monday and Tuesday commenting on week two’s homework.

Webinars Viewed:

  • Reporting on Research: Applying Standards Improves Written Communications (Part 1) by Nancy A Peters (BCG Education Fund)
  • Empowering Genealogists with Artificial Intelligence (part II - Extraction) by Steve Little (NGS)
  • Polls, Personalty & Property: Making Sense of Tax Lists by Judy G. Russell (Seattle Genealogical Society)
  • Obituaries and other Death Notices in Online Newspapers by Annette Burke Lyttle (SGS)
  • Using Google's My Maps as a Research and Analysis Tool by Cari A. Taplin (CGS)

Other: We hiked this week on Mt. Diablo State Park, accessing some trails from the side of the road. The fall color on the wild grape and other trees was spectacular.

I am reading:

  • Democracy Awakening: Notes on the State of America by Heather Cox Richardson—FINISHED!
  • Lincoln & California by Brian McGinty
  • Skirts by Kimberly Chrisman-Campbell
  • The Shooting at Château Rock by Marin Walker

Photos for this week.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I have been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments