Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Are You Writing Your Personal History?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!


 




Our assignment this week from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to:

1)  Are you writing about your own personal history?  What are you including?  How are you doing with it? Who will you distribute it to?  

Here is mine:
Last year at a genealogy writing retreat, my friend Stewart, was working on his autobiography. One evening, I could not sleep and got out my computer and starting writing about my own life. I got six pages written. I made it up to sixth grade, at least writing about my school days. I included photographs but no source citations. I see the date of the document is 9/17/2022. I have not added to it since.

I could not at first locate this file, but discovered that I have over 60 documents of blog posts I have written about myself for Saturday Night Genealogy Fun, 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks, or 2011 Advent Calendar blogging memes. Examples of posts include:

  • Elementary School Memories
  • Fourth of July Memories
  • Moving On Out
  • Your Favorite Toy
  • Your First Presidential Election
  • Your High School Years

I certainly can take excerpts from these various posts and put them together to expand out my own autobiography. I think that us bloggers have a step up on other genealogists in writing our own story.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Good for you - getting through 6th grade is the first 12 years of your life! Keep with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a pretty good amount of material to start with. You'll just have to fit the writing into your regular schedule to continue it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.