Skip to main content

SNGF -- What Genealogy "Rabbit Hole" Did You Go Down Recently?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night Again -

Time For Some More Genealogy Fun!!






Our assignment tonight from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to answer:

1)  What genealogy "rabbit hole" did you go down recently?  Did you have genealogy fun?  How did it help your genealogy research?

Here’s mine:
I spent time this past two weeks (some while I was holed up in a hotel room with Covid) going down a rabbit hole searching for information about Disciples of Christ, the Churches of Christ, the Stone-Campbell tradition, and the preacher Walter Scott. I want more background information about the religious teachings that my ancestor N.H.O. Polly preached in Texas. This background information will be used to help tell his story in the KDP I am working on.

I first tried PERSI, the Periodical Source Index at the Allen County Public Library.[1] It is an index of many genealogical and historical publications that the library houses. The index is not an every-name index, but rather on title, subject, and location. I searched by subject religion, by name Polly, Campbell, and Stone, and by place: Lewis County, Kentucky. I came up with about five possible articles to order either from the Allen County Public Library, or by contacting the local society for a copy. I think it would be easier to just order it from ACPL.

I also did some searching at JSTOR, which is a digital library of scholarly journal articles, chapters from books, and reviews of books and articles.[2] Not all articles are completely available unless you have an account. During Covid, there was expanded access, but that has ended. Having a Library of Congress library card gets me access to many of the articles. I searched on the same topics above and found several images of lectures held at a Disciples of Christ Historical Society function in 1988 about Alexander Campbell. I tried to locate articles about the Disciples of Christ in north Texas, but I have not had luck yet.

The last place I searched was with the Disciples of Christ Historical Society. I joined and put in a request for research on my ancestor. I am now in the queue and hope to learn something soon.


Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. PERSI and JSTOR are great resources, but I hope the historical society comes through for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Linda about the historical society. So sorry to hear that you were stuck in a hotel room with COVID!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But at least I got some stuff done. Missed out being with my daughters.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.