Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- How Many Trees or Bushes Are in Your Family Tree Database?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

 

Our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing this week is:

1)  Almost all of us have genealogy software that we use to manage our research and our family tree.  Some researchers use only an online family tree.  What do you use?

2)  For this week's SNGF, tell us how many "trees" (or "bushes)" you have in your genealogy management program database.  How did you figure it out?  Also, where do you have online trees?

Here's mine:

1. I have used three different genealogy software programs over my genealogy researching career. I began with PAF (DOS) and upgraded to the Windows version later. I continued using it even when it was discontinued but it worked fine for me. I kept most of my data in the notes area using tags.

Later, a group of us attended a talk given by Geoff Rasmussen and he showed screen shots from the program Legacy Family Tree. He had a promotion, get three for $50. Since there were three of us attending together, we jumped on it. I used the program for about four years.

It was a mail-serve list comment from Elizabeth Shown Mills that convinced me to switch to RootsMagic. She really like the research notes report and I thought it would be a good idea to make use of that. I am committed to using RootsMagic and have RM7. I was a beta tester for RM8, but I did not care for it as it had a totally different interface. I will just stick with RM7.

2. I have only one tree and no bushes. I am not even sure how to make another tree without having it just be another file. I research my children’s ancestors, so they are in the number one position. I have more than one file, however, as I have conducted research for others and keep a record of my findings both in the research report and in RootsMagic, because I like to keep track of the people that way.

I have three trees at Ancestry, with one of them private. One is ancestors only and is used for matching on DNA sites. So, I have placed this kind of tree at Ancestry, Family Tree DNA (on my maternal grandmother’s & paternal aunt’s profiles), 23andMe, and My Heritage.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Even though I have used RootsMagic only a little, it makes more sense to me than Reunion does after all this time. Maybe I should switch to that until I get my FTM back (if I manage to!). But I'm glad I'm not the only one with no bushes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never learned the full power of RootsMagic. To me, it's just a database to hold my information. I don't need it to make reports and books. I put the information where it makes most sense.

      Delete
  2. Your approach is similar to mine, except I have one tree for hubby's lines and one for mine. I pretty much use just the database portion of my software programs, too, although I occasionally print out family group sheets if I am working on a family with a lot of kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about splitting up the trees for each side, since there's no way they would ever connect (at least in my researching life-time and the availability of records). But it seemed easier to have it all in one place.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.