Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- When You First Left Home

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Here is our assignment this week from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing:

1)  When did you first leave your parents' home?  Why did you leave?  Where did you move to?  What was it like?  What did you learn?

2)  Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook Status post.  Please leave a link in a comment to this post.

Here’s mine:

We did a similar theme on 29 Sep 2020, so I’m going to tell the story from a different point of view: through the eyes of my parents, Bill and Lea.

Neither of them had lived on their own before being married. My father lived with his mother at either 3416 or 3418 Wren Avenue in Concord, California (depending on which wedding article one reads). Today, one cannot view the house on Google Maps because it is off a side driveway where a Google camera did not drive. There are photos of me with my grandmother when I was young, and it is possible this is the same place.

My mother lived with her parents at 307 Nancy Lane in Pleasant Hill, California. The wedding reception was held at their house.

According to the wedding announcement following the ceremony, the newlyweds were to live at 3418 Wren Avenue following their honeymoon.

Lela’s parents helped my parents purchase a new home in Shore Acres development in West Pittsburg and they lived there a couple of years. Here is a shot of the house with me.

My mother preached to us to find a place of our own in order to prove to ourselves that we support ourselves if we ever needed to, and would not be dependent on another person. Perhaps she regretted never having that chance to prove that to herself.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I'm jealous: I don't have baby photos of myself like those. Lucky you! But who is Lela?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother's birth name was Lela. She called herself Lea. I should have been consistent.

      Delete
  2. I like that you looked at it from your parents' perspective. My dad lived at home until he married and then we lived downstairs in the same house. My mom lived on her own when she was in the WAVES. My aunt said after she was discharged and before my parents married, she lived in the basement of my grandparents' home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting way to look at our ancestors' lives. We should analyze this for everyone we write about.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.